Are you looking for a position where you make a difference in our communities? At the Municipal Insurance Association of British Columbia (MIABC) we invest in the communities of British Columbia, so that they can invest in themselves. Each day, through every piece of advice shared, every outreach program offered, and every insurance policy written, our organization proudly declares that what makes each community unique is worthwhile, empowering the communities at the very heart of our province and the people who are the heart of those communities.
The MIABC is looking for an energetic, motivated, and career-minded Claims Examiner to provide professional and technical service to our local government members. The MIABC is a member-owned non-profit insurance reciprocal that provides liability coverage to over 168 local governments in British Columbia, and property and ancillary coverage to over half of our members.
- Investigates and manages claims directly or through an independent adjuster.
- Communicates with members and claimants or their representatives to report claims developments in a timely fashion.
- Communicates with and instructs independent adjusters, consultants and legal counsel.
- Ensures timely and accurate processing of claims documents, file setup, sending acknowledgement letters and status updates to our members in accordance with the MIABC Claims Manual.
- Gathers facts to analyze and determine liability exposure and to quantify the loss or damage.
- Posts reserves and manages the litigation budget in accordance with the MIABC reserving policies.
- Manages the litigation process, instructs legal counsel, attends mediations and negotiates settlements. Denys claims or negotiates settlements directly, or instructs legal counsel/adjusters to do so.
- Provides regular reports to the Manager of Claims regarding large loss claims.
- Manages pending files, opens and closes claims.
- Processes claim payments and invoices from service providers.
- Remains abreast of company and industry changes (insurance and legal) as well as changes in internal processes and procedures.
- Visits members to discuss claims and attends member conferences or industry events to promote the MIABC.
- Identifies and communicates to the Insurance Services department claims issues requiring supporting risk management initiatives.
Preferred qualifications include:
- 1 to 5 years adjusting and examining experience preferred.
- CIP designation preferred.
- Good time-management skills. Ability to prioritize and manage multiple files and deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills. Focus on customer service and customer management.
- Superior attention to detail, analytical and organizational skills.
- Well-defined sense of diplomacy, including conflict resolution and people management skills.
- Expertise with Microsoft Office 365 programs (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.)
Our commitment to you
The MIABC believes in a culture rooted in collaboration and growth. Our team is enthusiastic, innovative, diverse, and driven to enrich the lives of our members and each other. We promise to support you and provide you with meaningful challenges and opportunities to shine. From competitive salaries, benefit packages and professional development opportunities, to work life balance with flex days and flexible working opportunities, we offer our teammates a working environment in which they feel supported, encouraged and empowered to take risks and share their perspectives openly and freely.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
Equity is entrenched in the MIABC’s values and guiding principles. We celebrate, empower, and support the unique differences our staff, board and members bring to our organization. We strive to be a workforce and organization that is representative of the diversity of the communities in British Columbia.
- Participation in a defined pension plan;
- Incidental health spending account;
- The ability to work remotely two days a week;
- Optional participation in a flex day plan allowing for 18 flex days per calendar year;
- Legislative statutory holidays off as well as Easter Monday, National Day for Truth and Reconciliation and Boxing Day;
- A centrally located office next to transit, shopping, restaurants and the false creek seawall;
- Free parking on a first come first serve basis, with EV charging stations;
- Secure private bike storage;
- Monthly allowance for employees who choose to use their personal mobile phone for business;
- Professional development days;
- Mentorship programs; and
- Staff social activities
One year contract with a possibility of permanent full-time
Pay Range: $64,000 to $80,000
The full job description can be viewed on our website at https://www.miabc.org/about-miabc/work-us/careers-miabc . The posting and qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
More search results
Customer Relationship Coordinator (CRC) & Admin C…
Field claims adjuster
Kootenay Adjusting & Consulting Ltd
Field Claims Adjuster - Property (Red Deer)
The Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company
Director Insurance & Trust
BC Financial Services Authority
Supervisor, Farm Property Claims
The Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company