Field Underwriter - Loss Prevention
Job title: Field Underwriter – Loss Prevention
Job location: Remote
Who we are:
The Commonwell Mutual Insurance Group is not just another insurance company; we are a P&C Mutual company with solid grass roots within our community. We’re proud to be a leader within the P&C industry offering a Mutual experience rich with history, opportunity and exceptional customer service. We are committed to profitable growth, team development, ingenuity, build on strong connections in our remote first work environment. We encourage a work-life balance and we are serious about what we do.
Our promise to you:
Here at The Commonwell, we are all about Protecting Individuals, Together! Our vision is to continue to build an environment that develops and attracts the very best by empowering everyone to foster a workplace where everyone can perform at their very best, be their authentic self and bring their whole self to work.
This position focuses on partnering with our distribution force and Underwriting Leadership team to drive profitable new business growth of medium to large complex farm and commercial accounts, and to assist in loss control and support the retention of existing accounts. The incumbent will conduct loss control inspections and complete surveys, while rating within their binding authority on farm, commercial, and high valued residential risks to increase revenue, assess risk and reduce claims. The incumbent will also act as a technical resource for Loss Control Inspectors and underwriting teams. The Field Underwriter will also participate in technical training for our broker/agent partners and underwriting teams.
Who you are:
• You will be highly Organized and have excellent Time Management skills
• You will demonstrate excellent Written and Verbal Communication Skills
• You are great at Problem-Solving and Critical Thinking
• You will be Adaptable and open to changing environments
• You value and encourage others to have cooperative and collaborative conversations because diverse perspectives offer more creative solutions
How you will create an impact:
• Assist brokers/agents in prospecting larger complicated risks, including the completion of evaluations on all buildings, liability assessments and rating of the prospective business, providing binding authority and quotes to brokers/agents.
• Assist brokerage/agency employees with underwriting more complex farm, residential and commercial business.
• Assess risk and communicate rates and conditions to brokers/agents.
• Provide field training to brokerage/agency employee on complex risk underwriting.
• Procure the necessary reinsurance cover as per internal guidelines.
• Inspect farm, commercial and personal property risks to determine whether they meet underwriting guidelines and create Loss Control/Underwriting inspection reports including photographs, measurements, rebuilding evaluations, liability risk survey assessments.
• Attend industry related Loss Control educational sessions and association functions.
• Act as a technical specialist as required for training of The Commonwell employees and brokers.
• Provide technical underwriting and Loss Control expertise to assist in development of underwriting guidelines for commercial, farm, and residential risks.
• Liaises with industry representatives regarding quality and safety of new products and communicates information to brokers/agents and Underwriters.
• Communicate Loss Control inspection process details to brokers/agents as necessary.
• Work with internal team members to enhance the utilization of the Loss Control Software.
• Work with Specialty Underwriting Leaders to develop and implement Loss Control strategies and initiatives for brokers/agent partners and clients.
• Participate in delivering technical training to brokers/agents as required.
• Assist Leadership in developing field underwriting policy and standards.
• Monitor market changes and requirements and make recommendations.
• Meet regularly with Specialty Underwriting Leaders to assess priorities and review results.
• Embrace and deliver an effective implementation of continuous improvement environment, drive performance and provide exceptional member experience.
What you will bring:
• Completion of Post-Secondary Education.
• Successful completion, or pursuing industry related designations is an asset.
• 3-5 years experience within the field of specialty lines underwriting.
• Effective communication, negotiation and sales acumen; verbal, non-verbal and written; and ability to communicate on all levels of the organization; presentation skills.
• Expert knowledge in ITV tools including RCT, BVS, Douglas Cost Guide etc., as well as other tools utilized through the inspection process.
• Expert knowledge in understanding Underwriting principles of risk control, hazard identification and risk mitigation processes.
• Knowledge of reinsurance and rating principles.
• Understanding of building and construction on residential, farm and commercial operations.
• Sound morals, ethic and confidentiality with ability to develop trusting and effective working relationships with broker force and clients.
• Strong computer literacy, proficiency in all Microsoft Office programs and Internet navigation.
JOIN THE #Commonwell Crew! We saved you a spot!
More search results
Field Claims Specialist, Level 3 - Eastern, ON
The Commonwell Mutual Insurance Group - 342622
Senior Adjuster (Property)
Insurance Risk Manager
First Capital REIT
Insurance Product Manager – Specialty Lines
Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company of Canada
Senior Claims Analyst
Peak Performance HR