Manager, TRusT (Technical Risk Underwriting Solutions Team)
Driven by technology and fueled by innovation, HSB is Canada’s premier specialty insurance and applied technology services provider. Offering 150 years of technical and service excellence, we are focusing on emerging trends and unlocking new opportunities for clients. Today, we are accelerating, changing the future of insurance and risk solutions, for a modern world.
At HSB, we value the strengths and contributions of our diverse workforce. We offer continuous learning opportunities, giving you the flexibility to grow in your career while enjoying a healthy work-life balance and a collaborative approach in our coast-to-coast network of offices. Become part of a rewarding and impactful experience while seeing first-hand technologies and risk solutions that are changing the way we live and work.
HSB is much more! It’s insurance. Engineering. Technology. To learn more about us, please visit www.hsb.ca
Reporting to the Director of TRusT (Technical Risk Underwriting Solutions Team), this position plays a pivotal role in executing the TRusT team’s strategy for growth and underwriting success. The manager will overlook the portfolios of Property All Risks and High Hazard Equipment Breakdown. This role is ideal for a proven team leader who is equipped with a strong background in underwriting of large and complex risks, including energy and equipment breakdown. Based at our Head Office in downtown Toronto, this role involves working with the top tier brokers from major hubs across Canada and maintaining relationships with clients across power generation and heavy industry companies in primary sectors like pulp and paper, steel, and mining.
• Lead a team of Account Executives in a positive and motivated work environment with a strong focus on teamwork.
• Mentor, coach, and provide guidance in the technical underwriting process for Property All Risks and Equipment Breakdown risks.
• Coordinate, collaborate, and strategize with functional departments within HSB Canada.
• Review, monitor, and execute the TRusT business plan.
• Represent HSB’s capabilities as the leader in engineering-based insurance.
• Manage an existing renewal book and seek new business opportunities with National and Regional Brokers and Treaty clients to meet growth goals.
• Establish and maintain strong relationships with broker partners, risk managers, and client company underwriters.
• Maintain a portfolio of Renewable Energy and High Hazard Equipment Breakdown accounts.
• Present account reviews and business unit updates to internal business stakeholders.
• Negotiate solutions and identify opportunities while underwriting as per corporate standards.
• A University Degree in Engineering or Business Administration.
• CRM and CIP designations or actively working towards one.
• 8+ years’ experience in Commercial Property Underwriting, engineering, or related experience with Equipment Breakdown, High-hazard risk, Renewable Energy, and Power Generation.
• Team management and leadership experience to engage, motivate, and inspire the team to work to their full potential.
• Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
• Strong ability to identify, analyze, and problem-solve.
• Ability to quickly adapt to change, work in a fast-paced environment, and manage multiple priorities.
• Proficient with MS suite applications.
• Available to travel when required.
Creating and maintaining a work environment that promotes respect, diversity and dignity is important to us. We strive for equality in our workplace, to eliminate employment barriers, and promote a workplace based on principles which align with our company values and promote positive employee practices. Candidates requiring accommodation during any stage of our selection process should advise us of this; we will strive to work with individuals to find a suitable means to meet their needs.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.