Coordinator, Insurance Claims
- Mississauga, ON
- Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 65,753.00 - $ 87,671.00
- Req ID: 23825
- Job Category
- Job Type
Coordinator, Insurance Claims
Req ID: 23825
Vacancy Type: Permanent
Number of Positions: 1
Closing Date: 10/13/2023
Reporting to the Manager, Insurance & Risk Management, this position plays a critical role in handling property damage and automobile claims, setting up claims and assigning external adjusters/firms; including providing continuous insurance and claims support, assisting in claims investigations and co-ordination of meetings, examinations for discovery and court dates for the Risk Management Section.
Our hybrid work model will allow you to work remotely, except as required to attend our offices at 300 City Centre Drive, Mississauga, L5B 3C1 for in-person meetings to satisfy business needs and as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Initiates investigations and compiles investigative documentation in support of the City’s legal defence for liability and negligence claims filed against the City
• Compiles and processes responses to undertakings and other legal requests with various City departments
• Completes a full investigation of property damage and automobile claims filed against the City by third parties and property damage claims for City assets
• Evaluates and assesses investigative data compiled, resolves and settles third-party property damage claims
• Completes a full investigation of minor Bodily Injury claims with the assistance and guidance of Specialists, Insurance Claims
• Assesses, reviews, interprets, and takes action on claims files in a coordinated effort with internal staff and external service providers
• Acts as the central point of contact between the two when building evidence to support the defence of the City’s interests for matters in litigation or pending litigation.
• Liaises with various departmental staff and determines the most appropriate contact to provide the relevant information, and ensures that all proper investigative items are received and accurate
• Assigns external service providers to facilitate comprehensive analysis of property related claim files and in conjunction with the Specialist, Insurance Claims on bodily injury files; ie: appraisers, external legal, restoration companies, private investigators, engineering firms and adjusters
• Takes responsibility for the management of all Risk Management Section systems; Risk Management Information System and Sharepoint documents, ensuring accuracy and consistency in data entry are upheld
• Responsible for preparing annual, semi-annual and adhoc financial reporting and statistical claims experience by utilizing Risk’s RMIS
• Assists in the analysis of this financial & statistical data
• Performs other duties as assigned
Skills and Qualifications
• Post secondary education, either university or college, in relevant field of study
• CIP – Chartered Insurance Professional designation required
• CRM – Canadian Risk Management designation preferred
• A minimum of 3 to 5 years of property damage and automobile claims handling with a preference in municipal environment
• Strong knowledge and understanding of legislative framework surrounding the municipal sector and insurance claims industry (e.g. Municipal Act, Insurance Act, Minimum Maintenance Standards, Occupier’s Liability Act)
• Excellent analytical, problem solving, and interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively, in a collegial team environment
• Effective time management skills, including the ability to balance competing priorities and work within tight deadlines
• Ability to exercise sound judgment in managing claims and negotiating settlements
Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 65,753.00 - $ 87,671.00
Hours of Work: 35
Work Location: Civic Centre
Department/Division/Section: CMO/City Manager's Office , CMO/Legal Services , Risk & Insurance Mgmt
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) or Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can also check your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.
More search results
Senior Product Analyst (Personal Property)
SGI (Saskatchewan Government Insurance)
Experienced Insurance Advisor
Alberta Motor Association
Senior Risk & Insurance Examiner
Regional Municipality of Durham - Whitby, ON
Claims Adjuster 2 - Condo/Strata (AB or BC)
The Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company