Commercial Underwriting Technical Specialist – Property
Position Title: Commercial Underwriting Technical Specialist – Property
Job ID: 7021
Working Business Language: English
At Wawanesa, we’re proud to offer a flexible hybrid work environment where our employees may have the flexibility to work from the office, hybrid or remote. You may work from any of the following locations: Alberta.
The Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company, founded in 1896, is one of Canada’s largest mutual insurers, with over $4 billion in annual revenue and assets of $12 billion. Wawanesa Mutual, with executive offices in Winnipeg, is the parent company of Wawanesa General, which offers property and casualty insurance in California and Oregon; Wawanesa Life, which provides life insurance products and services throughout Canada; and Western Financial Group, which distributes personal and business insurance across Canada. Wawanesa proudly serves more than two million members in Canada and the United States. Wawanesa actively gives back to organizations that strengthen communities where it operates, donating well above internationally recognized benchmarks for excellence in corporate philanthropy. Learn more at wawanesa.com
We are currently looking for dedicated, driven, and enthusiastic individuals who thrive in an environment that welcomes change and are looking for an opportunity for diverse experience and advancement on a growing team.
Working under minimal supervision, the Underwriting Technical Specialist – Commercial Lines, assists with both strategic and business as usual initiatives to achieve profitability, competitiveness and efficiency.
- Liaise with Executive Office, as a subject matter expert, to assist with (but not limited to):
- Strategic Initiatives, including technological advancements.
- Rate and Product Development.
- Regulatory Changes and Reporting.
- Company Benchmarks.
- Customer Engagement.
- Perform research and analysis of the industry and company data to contribute towards assigned initiatives.
- Champion the development and implementation of business change.
- Maintain existing documentation so that it reflects up to date and proper information.
- Provide technical assistance and training to ensure consistency in the implementation of change.
- Mentor and develop team members and facilitate sessions for the sharing of knowledge and best practices.
- Perform risk analysis using technology as well as external data sources for the purposes of quoting, negotiating and authorizing the acceptance of risk.
- Lead and/or participate in periodic work reviews for quality assurance purposes.
- Foster positive working relationships with internal and external parties, including other regional offices and networking at industry events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Seven years Property and Casualty industry experience.
- Post-secondary education or related business experience.
- Completed a Property and Casualty Industry Designation.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent attention to detail with the ability to review information carefully and comprehensively.
- Excellent analytical, and problem solving with the ability to select and implement best solutions.
- Excellent decision making skills with the ability to provide justification.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Expert communication skills with the ability to present information in a convincing manner.
- Strong leadership skills to positively influence team members and provide direction.
- Strong ability to multi-task and monitor progress to meet deadlines.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Number of hours per week: 37.5
- Core business hours: 8:00AM to 4:30PM MT
- Schedule: Monday to Friday, during core business hours (Mountain Time Zone)
- Location: Anywhere in Alberta
Wawanesa is proud to be one of Manitoba's Top Employers for 2023 recognizing that we are an exceptional place to work!
Wawanesa provides its employees with a respectful, challenging and rewarding environment where they can maximize their potential while contributing to the company’s goals. Our full-time permanent employees are provided with highly competitive compensation packages (salaries, generous vacation allowance, leave top up, annual bonus plan, premium free benefits and a pension plan). Wawanesa provides a stable environment for its employees in today’s challenging markets.
Wawanesa is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fostering a diverse workforce that is equitable and inclusive for all. Wawanesa provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to an individual’s protected status: race/ethnicity, colour, religion, creed, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family or marital status, pregnancy/childbirth or related conditions, national origin, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected status. Accommodations are available upon request throughout all aspects of the selection process. Candidates requiring accommodations may contact, in confidence, email@example.com.
If you are interested in this exciting, challenging position with Wawanesa, apply today with your Resume.