Senior Underwriter, Commercial Lines
Position Title: Senior Commercial Underwriter
Job ID: 6959
Working Business Language: English
We’re proud to give our employees the flexibility to choose how and where they want to work. In this role, you can decide whether your preference is to work from home (remote), work from the office or a hybrid of time spent at both. You may work from any of the following locations: Alberta.
The Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company, founded in 1896, is one of Canada’s largest mutual insurers, with over $4 billion in annual revenue and assets of $12 billion. Wawanesa Mutual, with executive offices in Winnipeg, is the parent company of Wawanesa General, which offers property and casualty insurance in California and Oregon; Wawanesa Life, which provides life insurance products and services throughout Canada; and Western Financial Group, which distributes personal and business insurance across Canada. Wawanesa proudly serves more than two million members in Canada and the United States. Wawanesa actively gives back to organizations that strengthen communities where it operates, donating well above internationally recognized benchmarks for excellence in corporate philanthropy. Learn more at wawanesa.com
We are currently looking for dedicated, driven, and enthusiastic individuals who thrive in an environment that welcomes change and are looking for an opportunity for diverse experience and advancement on a growing team.
Working under minimal supervision, the Underwriter Sr. – Commercial Lines is responsible for analyzing the acceptability of complex and high premium volume business according to company guidelines by working collaboratively with our sales force and providing value added expertise and service to both potential and existing policyholders.
- Perform risk analysis using technology as well as external data sources for the purposes of quoting, negotiating and authorizing the acceptance of risk.
- Arrange reinsurance or subscribing companies where appropriate.
- Determine eligibility for policy renewals based on guidelines and retention goals of the company.
- Maintain accurate records of decisions made and maintain completeness of policy data.
- Communicate decisions, and respond to requests in a prompt and professional manner.
- Act as a subject matter expert for insurance policies, processes, regulations and audit.
- Mentor and train less experienced team members.
- Participate in periodic work reviews for quality assurance purposes.
- Support the development and implementation of business change.
- Ensure efficient handling of work assignments, including calls.
- Influence team members in a positive manner, and provide short term direction effectively working towards team goals.
- Foster positive working relationships with internal and external parties, including networking at industry events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Five years Auto industry experience.
- Post-secondary education or related business experience.
- Completed or actively pursuing a Auto Industry Designation.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent attention to detail with the ability to review information carefully and comprehensively.
- Excellent decision making skills with the ability to provide justification.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to present information in a convincing manner.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to identify and implement solutions.
- Adapts to change and performs effectively under pressure.
- Ability to multi-task and monitor progress to meet deadlines.
Wawanesa is proud to be one of Manitoba's Top Employers for 2023 recognizing that we are an exceptional place to work!
Wawanesa provides its employees with a respectful, challenging and rewarding environment where they can maximize their potential while contributing to the company’s goals. Our full-time permanent employees are provided with highly competitive compensation packages (salaries, generous vacation allowance, leave top up, annual bonus plan, premium free benefits and a pension plan). Wawanesa provides a stable environment for its employees in today’s challenging markets.
Wawanesa is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fostering a diverse workforce that is equitable and inclusive for all. Wawanesa provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to an individual’s protected status: race/ethnicity, colour, religion, creed, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family or marital status, pregnancy/childbirth or related conditions, national origin, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected status. Accommodations are available upon request throughout all aspects of the selection process. Candidates requiring accommodations may contact, in confidence, firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested in this exciting, challenging position with Wawanesa, apply today with your Resume.
More search results
Experienced Insurance Advisor
Alberta Motor Association
Claims Adjuster 2 - Condo/Strata (AB or BC)
The Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company
Alberta Motor Association
Claims Supervisor - Auto Physical Damage (PD)
Millennium Insurance Corporation
Assistant Professor, Insurance and Risk Managemen…