Pricing Analyst (Actuary)
- HSB Canada
- Toronto, Ontario
- Job Category
- Job Type
Driven by technology and fueled by innovation, HSB is Canada’s premier specialty insurance and applied technology services provider. Offering 150 years of technical and service excellence, we are focusing on emerging trends and unlocking new opportunities for clients. Today, we are accelerating, changing the future of insurance and risk solutions, for a modern world.
At HSB, we value the strengths and contributions of our diverse workforce. We offer continuous learning opportunities, giving you flexibility to grow in your career while enjoying a healthy work-life balance and a collaborative approach in our coast-to-coast network of offices. Become part of a rewarding and impactful workplace experience while seeing first-hand technologies and risk solutions that are changing the way we live and work.
HSB is much more! It’s insurance. Engineering. Technology. To learn more about us, please visit: www.hsb.ca
The Pricing Analyst conducts qualitative and quantitative data analysis to assist in pricing and rating new and existing products, as well as in identifying new business opportunities, in order to facilitate the Company planning process.
Reporting to the Director, Underwriting, and as part of the Corporate Underwriting Team, you will contribute to Pricing Projects, using actuarial models and innovative approaches. Projects are varied and include the development of rating structures and monitoring/reporting on overall rate adequacy. In this role, you will have exposure to a rating in both personal and commercial property lines with valuable career development potential.
This role is located at our Head Office in Downtown Toronto and is ideal for an innovative thinker with a problem-solving mindset, who is eager to learn and grow.
- Conduct indication analysis to ensure rate adequacy of applying pricing components and rating methodology to price existing and new products based on thorough statistical analysis.
- Provide actuarial support in the development of new products and services to achieve successful implementation of approved strategic initiatives.
- Provide actuarial and statistical analysis related to rate adequacy, including loss and premium trends, production of rate indicators and development of rating structures.
- Ability to effectively communicate results of analysis to management.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders such as Treaty, Regional Offices, Digital Distribution and New Solution Development to support their needs for pricing across all products.
- Provide ongoing review and improvements of pricing and processes for greater automation, accuracy and rate adequacy.
- Drive and deliver in various pricing projects including the development and implementation of rating structures and pricing models.
- Measure, Track and Monitor Products performance. Analyze market changes and emerging trends affecting product pricing and profitability and make recommendations on rates to management to ensure profitable revenue growth.
- University Degree in Actuarial Science, Business, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics or Computer Science.
- 5-7 years of relevant experience in a similar role with the ability to apply actuarial methods to develop insurance rating and pricing structures, compile, analyze, present and translate findings from analytics to concrete suggestions for business opportunities and facilitate decision-making.
- A deep understanding of insurance principles and pricing techniques is required.
- Believes in working collaboratively with a team and in cross-functional areas.
- Advanced programming knowledge and data processing abilities (using tools such as MS Office, Power BI and languages such as VBA, and SQL), deep knowledge of databases, analytics tools and experience with data cubes.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and looking for efficient, automated solutions.
- Organizational and time management skills to prioritize workloads and multiple projects and meet time-sensitive deadlines with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability and desire to learn and adapt quickly to a changing and fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills in effectively working within a team and collaborating with several business partners.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- P&C and Insurance analytics experience including a strong understanding of earned premium, incurred claims, loss development and deriving loss costs is an asset.
- Strong team player, able to contribute in a collaborative environment.
- A positive, professional attitude is essential for this role.
Creating and maintaining a work environment that promotes respect, diversity and dignity is important to us. We strive for equality in our workplace, to eliminate employment barriers, and promote a workplace based on principles which align with our company values and promote positive employee practices. Candidates requiring accommodation during any stage of our selection process should advise us of this; we will strive to work with individuals to find a suitable means to meet their needs.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please quote Job Reference PAA.0423-BW and please click the link: Apply here.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those selected for interview will be contacted.