Commercial Farm Underwriter
The Mutual Fire Insurance Company of British Columbia is looking for a Commercial Farm Underwriter to work with our Underwriting team.
Founded in 1902, Mutual Fire Insurance was the first mutual insurance company headquartered in British Columbia. Today, the company provides solutions for farm, commercial, and home insurance needs from British Columbia to Ontario. Mutual Fire Insurance continuously delivers a high standard of partner service to policyholders through a wide broker network and personalized claims service to help insureds get back to normal as quickly as possible. With a unique dual policyholder structure, the Company is committed to making people a priority by creating membership initiatives, investing in technology, and supporting community projects.
In late 2021 Mutual Fire Insurance created two employee driven committees, an ESG Committee and a Purpose Committee. Today these committees are creating the framework and policy for Mutual Fire Insurance to work towards sustainability within our communities, while also ensuring environmental, social and governance mandates are accomplished.
This role is a permanent full-time position. The successful candidate will be responsible for analyzing and determining risk acceptability, pricing, coverage, terms, and conditions of our Commercial Farm product. A strong focus on profitability, while fostering and maintaining exceptional working relationships with new and existing broker partners is key to the success of this role.
- Assess and evaluate new and existing business
- Communicate and negotiate coverage, terms, and rating with broker partners
- Apply a common-sense approach to underwriting, and relationship management
- Maintain an awareness of market trends pricing levels and legal requirements
- Apply loss control and risk management practices
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external partners
Here’s what you bring
- A designation in property and casualty insurance and/or risk management
- Minimum five years of underwriting experience, or equivalent insurance industry related experience
- Demonstrable proficiency in underwriting basic to moderately complex books of commercial farm property
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking
- Exceptional attention to detail and well organized
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality when handling sensitive information
- Proven ability to effectively prioritize work, work independently, and manage time efficiently
- Excellent interpersonal relationship and communication skills; listening, verbal and written
- Excellent awareness and understanding of the marketplace
- Maintain compliance with corporate guidelines, documentation, and delegated authority
- High degree of proficiency with Office365
- Performs other duties as necessary
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive employee benefit package
- Flexible work environment, opportunity to work remotely with limited office attendance
- Diverse mix of staff and demonstrated work/life balance
- Career growth opportunities and continuing education programs
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
More search results
Field Underwriter - Loss Prevention
The Commonwell Mutual Insurance Group - 342622
Alberta Motor Association
Senior Account Executive (Commercial Insurance)
Healthcare Insurance Reciprocal of Canada (HIROC)
Remote Ontario Intermediate Accident Benefits Adj…
Pearce Insurance Adjusters