Commercial Lines Underwriter
The Mutual Fire Insurance Company of British Columbia (MFI) is seeking a Commercial Lines Underwriter to join our underwriting team.
Founded in 1902, Mutual Fire Insurance was the first mutual insurance company headquartered in British Columbia. Today, the company provides solutions for farm, commercial, and home insurance needs from British Columbia to Ontario. Mutual Fire Insurance is committed to making people a priority by creating membership initiatives, investing in technology, and supporting community projects.
In late 2021 Mutual Fire Insurance created two employee driven committees, an ESG Committee and a Purpose Committee. Today these committees are creating the framework and policy for Mutual Fire Insurance to work towards sustainability within our communities, while also ensuring environmental, social and governance mandates are accomplished.
Mutual Fire Insurance's subsidiary, Four Points Insurance provides innovative insurance solutions for small to medium-sized businesses in suburban and rural areas. Four Points Insurance was formed in 2022 to support small businesses through the many adjustments they must face now, and in the future. Built with a passion for customer service and risk management, Four Points Insurance offers business owners a suite of commercial packages insurance options.
The Commercial Lines Underwriter role is a permanent full-time position. The successful candidate will be responsible for analyzing and determining risk acceptability, pricing, coverage, terms, and conditions of our Commercial Lines product.
- Developing and maintaining strong broker partner relationships
- Assessing and evaluating new and existing business
- Communicating and negotiating coverage and pricing with broker partners
- Providing and demonstrating a common-sense approach to rating, underwriting, and file documentation
- Mentoring and offering guidance to team members
- Applying loss control and risk management concepts
- Maintaining market awareness of growing trends, pricing levels, and legal requirements
Here’s what you bring
- Five to ten years of commercial lines underwriting experience focused on SME and mid-market risks
- A proven, leadership skillset with a focus on team development
- Commitment to personal development and expanding knowledge and education
- Exceptional partner service
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with a passion to build relationships internally and externally
- Excellent time management
- Strong work ethic balanced with the ability to have fun on the job
- CIP designation, or actively working towards designation
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive employee benefit package
- Flexible work environment, opportunity to work remotely with limited office attendance
- Diverse mix of staff and demonstrated work/life balance
- Career growth opportunities and continuing education programs
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only candidates under consideration will be contacted.