Senior Commercial Underwriter
Who we are
Halwell Mutual is a policyholder owned, financially secure, community-based Property & Casualty insurer; one of a group of Mutual companies forming a strong partnership across the province. We have been insuring the property assets of rural and urban policyholders in Guelph and surrounding area through a dedicated network of independent brokers for more than 160 years, with a Gross Written Premium base of over $30 million.
What we offer
- Freedom and autonomy to work on new and interesting things
- The opportunity to make an impact on a well-established and fast-growing organization
- A flexible, fun and supportive workplace culture that’s a “Great Place to Work”
- Meaningful work in an organization that maintains a strong link to community and truly puts people first
- Competitive compensation package, including salary, benefits & pension, Annual Incentive Plan, learning & development opportunities, and generous paid time off
The position Level 1 2 3 4 5
The Senior Commercial Underwriter, under the direction of the Commercial Insurance Manager, will primarily be responsible to underwrite and review commercial policies/submissions to determine risk acceptability, provide quotes for premiums, coverages, and other conditions associated with new business applications, endorsements and renewals as well as processing transactions following company underwriting guidelines The Commercial Underwriter analyzes reports and gathers information from technical specialists, loss prevention, business development, and other sources to assist in their decision-making process and ensure a high-quality commercial book of business. They must work to address concerns in a professional manner as they arise to ensure a mutually beneficial working relationship is maintained with all stakeholders and partners.
What you have
- Excellent knowledge of commercial underwriting, both on- and off-package, normally acquired through at least 5 years’ work experience in commercial lines of business (knowledge of personal lines and/or farm would be an asset)
- Ability to exercise good judgement, evaluate options, effectively solve problems and make decisions independently as appropriate
- Clear communication and interpersonal skills necessary to collaborate effectively with broker partners and colleagues
- Good organization and strong sense of accountability to complete tasks autonomously in a timely manner
- High degree of integrity, professionalism and trustworthiness to underwrite large, complex accounts
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate firmly but fairly
- Experience with Office365 (especially Outlook, SharePoint & Teams apps) or willingness to learn
- A post-secondary degree or diploma and working towards a relevant professional designation such as CIP, CRM (or equivalent combination of education and experience)
- Mutual insurance experience would be considered a strong asset
What we are looking for
We are looking for an experienced, self-motivated underwriter with a “figure it out” attitude eager to make an immediate impact on our growing company by providing high quality underwriting on a permanent, full-time basis. As a hybrid workplace, you may work primarily remotely but must be willing to come into our office in Guelph upon request. If you thrive in a supportive hybrid team environment and are seeking meaningful employment with an innovative organization that truly values its staff apply today!
How to apply
Apply online at https://halwell.applytojobs.ca/. The successful applicant will be subject to applicable background screening, including professional references and criminal background check. We thank all applicants for their interest, however; only those selected for screening will be contacted.
When you face challenges and see that work needs to be done, do something, say something, try something.
Acknowledge and respect that we are all individuals on the same team.
Speak up, it’s OK to disagree and ask questions. Identify opportunities to grow, even if it’s uncomfortable.
Plan, try, learn, repeat. Take calculated risks, do your homework first, and reflect on your experience to learn and grow.
Make an Impact. We all want to make a difference. You have something amazing to offer the world, and we want to see our team do just that.
Halwell Mutual is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation for testing, interview, or employment purposes.
More search results
Supervisor, Commercial Property Claims
The Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company
Bodily Injury Claims Specialist
The Commonwell Mutual Insurance Group - 342622
Portfolio Analyst - Personal Lines OR Specialty L…
The Commonwell Mutual Insurance Group - 342622
Education & Events Coordinator - IIM
Insurance Product Manager – Specialty Lines
Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company of Canada