Lead - Insurance
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Requisition #: ALB00303083
Salary Range: $34.52 - $59.20 per hour
Job Type: Regular Full Time
Alberta Health Services (AHS) has a fantastic Lead, Insurance opportunity in our Calgary office. The Lead, Insurance will be exposed to the operations of a dynamic insurance program. In this role, you will have the opportunity to lead insurance operations of a large complex healthcare organization. The Lead, Insurance will works on all aspects of the commercial insurance program including a complex property, boiler, and fleet insurance program, while managing all aspects of AHS’ insurance program.
AHS is proud to be Canada’s first and largest fully integrated provincial healthcare system, serving over 4.4 million Albertans. Since 2017, we have been recognized as a top employer for our efforts to create an innovative and diverse workplace that values the contributions of our employees. These awards are a strong endorsement of the care provided to Albertans by our staff, physicians and volunteers every day. In addition to a supportive, progressive, and diverse environment, AHS offers comprehensive benefits for you and your family. We look forward to meeting you!
The Lead, Insurance is a leadership position reporting to the Director, Insurance & Finance Policy. The Lead is accountable for supporting the operations of the Insurance department including assisting in the planning and implementing effective insurance strategies, and managing and reporting of insurance operations. The Lead, Insurance is responsible to manage AHS’ insurance processes, including but not limited to:
Serving as a subject matter expert for insurance to internal stakeholders by providing guidance, advice, education, and responding to a variety of questions related to insurance. Reviewing and assessing contracts, leases, and other agreements. Overseeing and/or managing the insurance claims process includes, but is not limited to, assessing coverage, gathering and reviewing details and/or supporting documentation, negotiating and settling claims with insurers or other responsible parties. Overseeing the annual insurance renewal process which includes, but is not limited to completing required documents (property statement of values, fleet schedule, insurance applications, etc.), reviewing insurance contracts, analyzing monthly claims reports, preparing internal documents to facilitate approvals for AHS’ insurance program. Identifying areas for improvement and working with internal and external stakeholders to execute process improvements. Assisting the Director in developing the annual operating plan for the insurance department which includes identifying and determining projects for the year. Executing projects in the annual plan for the insurance department. Engaging and consulting with key stakeholders, such as AHS program areas, insurance adjusters and broker representatives.
- A university degree in insurance & risk management, business administration, finance, accounting, or a related discipline is required.
- Equivalency of work experience will be considered in lieu of a university degree.
- Minimum of 5 years in an Insurance Services leadership role in an organization of significant size, complexity and diversity (health care experience an asset).
Additional Required Qualifications:
- Must have superior written and verbal communication, analytical and interpersonal skills. Must possess project management and strong negotiation skills.
- Must have demonstrated the confidence and ability to communicate and work effectively at a management level with internal and external parties.
- Must have knowledge of many different insurance processes.
- Must have a demonstrated commitment to staying abreast of current insurance services technology, information, issues and trends.
- Must demonstrate the ability to foster relationships and to achieve organizational goals within a large and diverse organization.
- Must demonstrate business acumen with ability to balance business requirements against legal risks, to advance the needs of the organization.
- Extensive issues management experience and exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Must be a strategic thinker with a capacity to make quality decisions based on analysis, experience and sound judgement.
- Completion of Certified Insurance Professional (CIP) and / or Canadian Risk Manager designation preferred.