Insurance Data and Systems Analyst
EY's people in more than 150 countries are committed to operating with integrity, quality and professionalism in the provision of audit, tax, consulting, and advisory services. We strive to help all of our people achieve their professional and personal goals through an inclusive environment that values everyone's contributions, appreciates diversity of thought, fosters growth, and provides continuous opportunities for development. Recognized as one of Canada's top employers, EY continually strives to be a great place to work.
The Insurance Data and Systems Analyst is an insurance professional who is experienced with administering and maintaining information management systems; is experienced at maintaining data to enable the generation of reports; can develop complex financial models, analyzing and reconciling data outputs, and generating statistical reports. The Insurance Data and Systems Analyst can understand and interpret insurance policies to permit the capture, calculation and processing of insurance obligations and payment and reimbursement calculations. In this role, the Insurance Data and Systems Analyst will work with as part of our Toronto based team to identify and recommend process improvements and ways to maximize the value of data to the organization through analysis, communication, and reporting.
- Responsible for assuring the integrity of the information maintained, data supporting, and output created from the various databases used to support the claims and underwriting of the entity
- Responsible for reviewing existing claims and data management systems and considering/recommending updates, upgrades, or changes to improve efficiency and effectiveness
- Collaborates with the insurers’ finance team on the reconciliation of financial data between the entities
- Responsible for creation and production of reports produced by the database, including with respect to the fitness for purpose of the reports for the business
- Interprets insurance coverage to determine and calculate insurance liabilities / entitlements
- Prepares reimbursement payment instructions to insurers ensuring accuracy and clarity
- Develops complex financial models (using MS Excel and IBM Cognos) to report on and analyze claims data and communicates results to management
- Handles requests for ad hoc reports or financial information and interacts with local and international EY personnel to verify information. Communicates with external contacts to report and resolve open issues
- Utilizes a questioning mindset to identify ongoing issues that affect financial reporting in an insurance environment
- Responsible for timely and accurate tracking of insurance and reinsurance claims payments in database.
- Administers risk management information systems (including claims and policy management modules); plans and populates data
- Helps support the IT environment for the entities, including with serving as a resource to team members, troubleshooting problems, document management, server hierarchy, client access to information
- Serves as consultant and trainer to the Claims team on reporting and analysis tools
- Supervises staff
To qualify candidates must have:
- Bachelor's degree in business, finance, accounting, information systems or other related major
- 10-12 years relevant work experience
- Experience identifying, implementing or upgrading financial data management systems
- Superior analytical ability to identify and resolve discrepancies in data and to utilize data to guide decisions
- Advanced MS Excel skills for building and manipulating financial models
- Technological aptitude to learn standard firm software and other relevant software at an advanced level.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to influence and persuade others
- Training or experience with IBM Cognos is an asset
- Experience in a liability claims / loss adjusting environment is an asset
- Chartered Insurance Professional designation focussed on liability claims or willingness to obtain insurance certification / complete relevant courses supported by the firm within three years of hire is preferred.
EY is committed to inclusiveness, equity, and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.