Are you an accounting professional, seeking a new and unique opportunity? We are a niche insurance company dedicated to serving the architectural community in Ontario, and every day we strive to make a difference in the lives of the clients we serve. We would like to invite you to join our team as our Controller.
As a Controller at Pro-Demnity Insurance, you will be work with a dedicated multidisciplinary team of architects, lawyers, insurance professionals and other associates. Reporting to the Vice President, you will:
Maintain key accounting and internal controls including:
- Establish key processes and controls. Routinely review to ensure they are effective and efficient, including complying with applicable financial reporting standards.
- Review and approve journal entries and journal entry log.
- Complete monthly GL reconciliations for the balance sheet accounts and review/sign off reconciliations.
- Oversee banking transactions, monitor cash balances and support accounts receivable and payable processes.
Ensure regulatory reporting and compliance: Complete regulatory reporting to the regulator.
Complete month-end closing and adjusting entries including:
- Create and maintain closing schedules for internal and external deliverables.
- Prepare monthly investment, adjusting, fixed asset depreciation and lease adjusting entries.
- Reconcile claims activities between the claims administration system and GL.
- Complete monthly IBNR calculations utilizing the template from the Appointed Actuary.
- Process accruals and prepaid journals.
Support management reporting and business planning
- Assist VP of Finance in developing a 3-year business plan.
- Work with senior leadership, develop an expense plan with appropriate segmentation.
- Analyze actual expenses against benchmarks and communicate to senior management.
- Compile and analyze financial reporting packages.
- Assist VP Finance in the preparation of materials for the Finance & Audit committee and Board meetings.
Maintain reinsurance relations including:
- Reinsurance agreements and processes and preparing documents and analysis for to support renewal.
- Calculate monthly commissions.
Support Actuarial activity: Complete and submit required information, including questionaries.
Provide Accounting team support including: Mentor, train and ensure sufficient backup.
Your key daily interactions will include:
- Colleagues within the accounting team;
- Externally Appointed Actuary and Auditors;
- Architectural firms;
- Internal employees; and
- The leadership team.
You are an experienced, results-focused professional with the empathy, intelligence, and drive. You bring:
An undergraduate degree in Business, Accounting or Finance from an accredited university;
- An Accounting designation (CPA);
- 7+ years senior accounting or financial management experience (preferably within the property and casualty insurance industry);
- Exceptional analytical, critical and strategic-thinking skills;
- Strong administrative, time management and organizational skills;
- Effective relationship management, establishing trust, using discretion and acting professionally, to maintain effective working relationships, including senior leadership;
- Outstanding written and verbal communication, and
- Strong proficiency in basic office software (Office 365 or equivalent).
How to apply
Please submit your CV along with your Cover Letter to email@example.com.
Pro-Demnity is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all applicants.
Pro-Demnity Insurance Company proudly supports Ontario’s architects with professional liability insurance and risk management solutions, so they can design the inspiring structures we live, work and socialize in. We’re also a wholly owned subsidiary of the Ontario Architects Association. www.prodemnity.com
Our Cause: To support the architectural profession to take the risks necessary to design a better world. We enable the improvement of society and human interaction through better design by supporting the wise, effective, and efficient management of risk.
Our Purpose: to be the trusted ally to protect & defend the architectural profession and their families by strengthening and supporting their resiliency to the risks associated with practice.
Our Ambition: to strive each day to be the authority on risk, resulting in financially sustainable practices that unleash the full potential of the profession to improve society and human interaction through better design.
In pursuing our Purpose and Ambition, we build upon our core values of Trust, Accountability, Collaboration, and Innovation.