Personal Lines Underwriter
The Mutual Fire Insurance Company of British Columbia is growing and is looking for a Personal Lines Underwriter.
Founded in 1902, Mutual Fire Insurance was the first mutual insurance company headquartered in British Columbia. Today, the company provides solutions for farm, commercial, and home insurance needs from British Columbia to Ontario. Mutual Fire Insurance continuously delivers a high standard of partner service to policyholders through a wide broker network and personalized claims service to help insureds get back to normal as quickly as possible. With a unique dual policyholder structure, the Company is committed to making people a priority by creating membership initiatives, investing in technology, and supporting community projects.
The Personal Lines Underwriter role is a permanent full-time position. The successful candidate will be responsible for analyzing and determining risk acceptability, pricing, coverage, terms, and conditions of our Personal Lines product. A strong focus on profitability, while fostering and maintaining exceptional working relationships with new and existing broker partners is key to the success of this role.
- Assess and evaluate new and existing business
- Communicate and negotiate coverage and pricing with brokers.
- Utilize common sense approach to rating, underwriting and file documentation
- Maintain an awareness of market trends pricing levels and legal requirements
- Apply loss control and risk management concepts
- Develop and maintain strong broker relationships
Here’s what you bring
- High school graduate with some post-secondary education
- Minimum of five years of related Underwriting experience, or equivalent insurance industry related experience
- Achieved, or working towards, CIP designation
- Strong communication skills
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Natural ability at building authentic Broker Partner relationships
- Excellent time management skills
- High degree of proficiency with Office365
- Exceptional attention to detail and well organized
- Proven ability to effectively prioritize work, work independently, and manage time efficiently
- Maintain compliance with corporate guidelines, documentation, and delegated authority
- Strong work ethic without sacrificing your ability to have fun on the job
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive employee benefit package
- Flexible work environment, opportunity to work remotely with limited office attendance
- Diverse mix of staff and demonstrated work/life balance
- Career growth opportunities and continuing education programs
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only candidates under consideration will be contacted.