POSITION TITLE: Lead, Finance
The Healthcare Insurance Reciprocal of Canada (HIROC) is a trusted healthcare safety advisor, committed to offering a full spectrum of insurance, risk and claims management products and support.
HIROC knows healthcare as it’s the largest not-for-profit healthcare liability insurer in the country, with over 700+ healthcare organizations part of the Reciprocal. Combined with sage counsel and risk management solutions, HIROC works with its partners to increase safety.
As a Reciprocal, HIROC is governed by its Subscribers and remains an innovative, agile and proactive partner. Since its inception in 1987, the not-for-profit has returned over $200 million to the healthcare system. HIROC’s thirty-plus years of data is combined with its extensive experience to advise and share learnings, all with the goal of scaling knowledge and increasing safety across Canada’s healthcare system.
One common thread running through HIROC’s culture is the feeling of being part of something unique: partnering to create the safest healthcare system – HIROC’s vision.
Each employee has the opportunity to find their calling and help build a stronger organization designed to meet the needs of its Subscribers. As a Top 100 GTA Employer six years running, HIROC employees are empowered to find solutions and create amazing experiences in service to its Subscribers.
Join us and be part of the team working to make a difference.
Reporting to the Senior Leader, Financial Reporting and Accounting Operations, the primary responsibility of the Lead, Finance is to work closely with a team of professionals to manage financial functions, including financial and regulatory reporting, financial analysis, budgets, as well as focus on improving internal processes and increasing employee engagement.
- Preparation of monthly and annual Financial Statements in accordance with IFRS or ASPE
- Preparation of quarterly and annual P&C-1 regulatory returns
- Preparation of financial statement commentary and technical memos as required
- Develop budgets and provide forecasts and cash flow projections
- Prepare/review monthly accounting entries pertaining to premiums, claims, reinsurance, investments, and payables
- Review financial statements and reports for special programs
- Review bank reconciliations
- Prepare reinsurance analysis and calculations and liaise with reinsurance broker
- Liaise with actuary
- Prepare/review premium tax returns, sales tax returns
- Act as key contact for the year end audit, coordinate client schedules and manage ad-hoc requests
- Ensure compliance with department internal financial controls
- Coordinate and manage expectations of various internal and external parties in order to obtain detailed financial information required.
- Research and provide recommendations on IFRS and/or regulatory pronouncements or changes
- Provide supervision, coaching and mentoring for staff, staff engagement and promote a positive department culture
- Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Excellent knowledge of Excel
- Superb written and oral communication skills
- Experience with Great Plains considered to be an asset
- Attention to detail and a commitment to excellence and continuous improvement
EDUCATION, TRAINING & EXPERIENCE:
- CPA designation (public accounting experience preferred) and 3+ years of property and casualty insurance accounting experience
- Understanding of IFRS 17, Insurance Contracts
- Comparable mix of education and experience will be considered
As a condition of employment, all external hires will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination or documentation unless a valid medical exemption or a valid exemption based on enumerated grounds under the Ontario Human Rights Code exists. All internal candidates must be in compliance with HIROC's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
TO APPLY: Please submit your résumé to HR@hiroc.com
In order to be considered for this position, please include a current résumé or detailed qualifications summary with your application. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
HIROC is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders, including our subscribers, employees, job applicants, suppliers, the public and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and its associated standards and regulations and will ensure that we offer a safe and welcoming environment that is respectful of each person's dignity and independence.
As an organization, HIROC is dedicated to meeting the needs of individuals with disabilities in a timely manner. We understand that providing a barrier-free environment is a shared effort, and as an organization, we are committed to working with the necessary parties to make accessibility a reality for all.
More search results
Senior Director (REX-09*) / Directeur principal (…
Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions
Intermediate Commercial Underwriter
Milnco Insurance Broker Solution Centre
Union Power Insurance Brokers
Executive Manager, Business Development
Technical Property Underwriter and Account Manage…