The Ontario School Boards’ Insurance Exchange (OSBIE) is a non-profit insurance company providing commercial lines of insurance to the school boards of Ontario. We classify ourselves as a boutique insurance company with a highly qualified and close group of employees.
At OSBIE we foster a customer-focused culture and have great people working here, helping us ensure we provide excellent service to our subscribers. Our people are our greatest asset and at OSBIE we aim to balance work and play by providing our employees with flexibility and a variety of social settings and events that promote a collaborative and connected work environment.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
OSBIE is excited to be adding a new role to our Finance and Accounting team with the introduction of a Controller. Reporting directly to the CFO, the candidate will contribute significantly to the financial oversight and reporting for OSBIE.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated effective collaboration and people management skills, excellent communication skills and be a self-starter who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment. The ideal candidate will be comfortable operating in a small agile organization, is process-oriented, and has a strong finance/accounting foundation, preferably with Insurance industry experience.
The Controller will, provide financial reporting and advisory support to internal and external stakeholders. Responsibilities include:
- Involvement in financial systems, budgeting, process improvement, investment reporting, internal audit, special programs
- Lead the implementation of new financial reporting standards-IFRS 17
- Coordination and interpretation of monthly and quarterly financial statement reporting processes and annual audit requirements
- Liaise with external auditors, actuaries, reinsurers, investment managers
- Ability to partner and communicate effectively with various stakeholders such as senior leadership group, external investment managers, regulators and subscribers
- Special projects as assigned
- Such other responsibilities as may be assigned or as may arise from time to time
EDUCATION, TRAINING & EXPERIENCE:
- To qualify, candidates must have a CPA designation, with at least 3-7 years of progressive work experience in accounting/finance functions with a strong emphasis on budgeting
- Experience in the Insurance industry is strongly preferred (either directly with an insurance company or in public accounting focused on Insurance engagements) with knowledge of IFRS Insurance reporting standards, especially new IFRS 17
- Managing the budget process
- Assessing current accounting operations, offering recommendations for improvement and implementing new processes
- Evaluating accounting and internal control systems
- Understanding accounting software and supporting database, as needed
- Developing and monitoring business performance metrics
- Supervisory experience is an asset but not required
- Bilingual skills is an asset
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
The successful candidate will have demonstrated leadership, initiative and have a desire to learn and develop in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
TO APPLY: Please submit your résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to be considered for this position, please include a current résumé or detailed qualifications summary with your application. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
OSBIE is committed to providing a barrier-free application and interview process for all candidates. Should you require accommodations due to a disability or medical condition at any point throughout the hiring process, please notify us and we will do our very best to meet your needs.
More search results
Director, Claims Centre (Auto)
Saskatchewan Government Insurance
Manager, Commercial Property Underwriting
Insurance Brokerage Account Manager
Commercial Farm Underwriter
The Mutual Fire Insurance Company of British Columbia
Saskatchewan Government Insurance