We’re proud to give our employees the flexibility to choose how and where they want to work. In this role, you will decide whether your preference is to work from home, work from the office or a hybrid of time spent at both. You may live and work anywhere that Wawanesa operates in Canada.
Wawanesa Mutual Insurance is one of the largest property and casualty insurers in Canada with $3 billion in annual revenues and assets of more than $9 billion. Wawanesa Mutual, founded in 1896 with executive offices in Winnipeg, is the parent company of Wawanesa General, which offers property and casualty insurance in California and Oregon, and Wawanesa Life, which distributes life insurance products and services throughout Canada. With over 3,500 employees, Wawanesa proudly serves over two million policyholders in Canada and the United States. Wawanesa actively gives back to organizations that strengthen communities where it operates, donating well above internationally recognized benchmarks for excellence in corporate philanthropy.
We are currently looking for dedicated, driven, and enthusiastic individuals who thrive in an environment that welcomes change and are looking for an opportunity for diverse experience and advancement on a growing team.
Working under general supervision, the Underwriter II – Commercial Lines is responsible for analyzing the acceptability of moderately complex business with moderate premium volume according to company guidelines by working collaboratively with our sales force and providing value added expertise and service to both potential and existing policyholders.
- Perform risk analysis using technology as well as external data sources for the purposes of quoting, negotiating and authorizing the acceptance of risk.
- Arrange reinsurance or subscribing companies where appropriate.
- Determine eligibility for policy renewals based on guidelines and retention goals of the company.
- Maintain accurate records of decisions made and maintain completeness of policy data.
- Communicate decisions, and respond to requests in a prompt and professional manner.
- Assist with interpretation of rating procedures, wordings, underwriting policies and regulations.
- Handle work assignments, including calls, efficiently.
- Work effectively towards the goals of the team.
- Maintain positive working relationships with internal and external parties, including networking at industry events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Three years of Property and Casualty industry experience.
- Post-secondary education or related business experience.
- Completed or actively pursuing a Property and Casualty Industry Designation.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent attention to detail with the ability to review information carefully and comprehensively.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to provide justification.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to present information in a convincing manner.
- Strong decision making skills with the ability to provide justification.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize daily work.
Wawanesa provides its employees with a respectful, challenging and rewarding environment where they can maximize their potential while contributing to the company’s goals. Our full-time permanent employees are provided with highly competitive compensation packages (salaries, generous vacation allowance, leave top up, annual bonus plan, premium free benefits and a pension plan). Wawanesa provides a stable environment for its employees in today’s challenging markets.
Wawanesa is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fostering a diverse workforce that is equitable and inclusive for all. Wawanesa provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to an individual’s protected status: race/ethnicity, colour, religion, creed, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family or marital status, pregnancy/childbirth or related conditions, national origin, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected status. Accommodations are available upon request throughout all aspects of the selection process. Candidates requiring accommodations may contact us, in confidence.
If you are interested in this exciting, challenging position with Wawanesa, apply today with your Resume.