Bay of Quinte Mutual Insurance Co. is seeking an Underwriting Manager. This position is in office, full time and reports to the President. As Underwriting Manager, you will be a member of the leadership team at Bay of Quinte Mutual. The leadership team collaboratively develops and executes strategy to spearhead the growth and success of Bay of Quinte Mutual. You are responsible for the management and day to day operations of an Underwriting team of eight. You will play a key role in the development and implementation of our underwriting strategy, including the premium rates, underwriting rules and policy wordings.
If you are looking for a career, and not just a job within a supportive team environment, then this position is for you.
- Management of all aspects of the Underwriting Department
- Manage, provide direction, coaching and encouragement of department staff
- Development, implementation and monitoring of department plans, goals, priorities and schedules that are aligned with organizational goals
- Development and maintenance of underwriting guidelines, rates and policy wordings
- Ensuring adherence to the underwriting rules, conditions, guidelines and rates
- Ensuring adherence to all reinsurance requirements
- Ensuring all statistical reporting is completed
- Identifying opportunities and developing plans to grow the book of business
- Communicate and co-operate with the Claims Department and Loss Prevention Department on issues related to underwriting
- Providing customer service to our distribution partners
- Maintaining and enhancing relationships
- Responding to questions and concerns
- Providing appropriate insurance and risk management advice
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with key business partners, both internal and external to Bay of Quinte Mutual
- Participate in education and meetings to stay current with underwriting requirements and policy wordings
- Ensuring policyholder files contain the appropriate documentation as required by Bay of Quinte Mutual and regulatory authorities
Qualifications and experience
- Chartered Insurance Professional designation
- Post secondary education or Fellow Chartered Insurance Professional designation
- A minimum of ten years of experience in property and casualty insurance
- A minimum of five years of experience in a leadership position
- Proven ability to lead a cohesive, engaged and motivated team
- Excellent communication skills that include a well-defined sense of diplomacy, solid negotiation and conflict resolution skills
Bay of Quinte Mutual Insurance Co. is located in Picton, Ontario, known to many as simply The County. It was founded in 1874 by a group of farmers who banded together to form a company to provide insurance protection for their farms at time when the insurance companies of the day did not insure farms. Bay of Quinte Mutual has a deep history of supporting our neighbours and the communities where our policyholders live. We believe in relationships and local connections.
Bay of Quinte Mutual is a team of 28 providing commercial, farm and residential insurance in Eastern Ontario. We are rare, in that we do not offer automobile insurance. Bay of Quinte partners with 14 brokers and we have a team of 3 agents in our office to provide insurance protection. Our gross written premium is approximately $27 million and we are among the most financially strong insurance companies in Ontario.
Compensation will be commensurate with your experience. It includes a salary, comprehensive benefits program and a defined benefit pension.
Qualified individuals are invited to apply for this position by submitting a resume and covering letter by December 07, 2021 to:
Jeffery Howell, President