Please submit a cover letter and resume to apply for this position.
For more than 100 years, CNA has been providing insurance solutions to over 1 million businesses worldwide. CNA Canada has five strategically placed offices in Montreal, Toronto, Winnipeg, Calgary and Vancouver, making our friendly and knowledgeable staff easily accessible to our customers.
At CNA, we do not just employ people, we provide people with fulfilling careers with many opportunities and room for growth within the industry. We are a company that is constantly evolving and we take pride in our culture and values. When you join the CNA team, you'll work with motivated team members who have pride in - and passion for - what they do. CNA is committed to career growth and development for all levels of team members so they may navigate their own future and grow with the company.
We are focused on success, individually and collectively. Our dedication to employee engagement and the open exchange of ideas is the cornerstone of our business. These ideals, combined with our focus on the customer, have enabled us to explore new market opportunities and build on our success.
Each person at CNA plays an important role in the success of our business, join us and make an impact!
Job Profile Summary
As a strategic leader within the Risk Control team, this candidate will lead the Toronto Risk Control Team and is accountable for business results through delivery of risk control services within the area. In conjunction with senior management, works within the highest limits of authority to reduce loss exposure, and to support and contribute to growth and profit. Has regional scope of responsibility.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Directs the work activities and has full management responsibility for the performance and development of staff in accordance with corporate strategic direction.
- Ensures research, collaboration, risk assessment findings, recommendations on products and services, documentation, customer service, and all activities performed by staff meet quality and best practice standards.
- Coaches, leads and develops risk control staff and directs the development of corresponding/identified/cutting edge risk control training programs.
- Reviews and directs the evaluation and assessment of loss exposures and the application of risk control policies, guidelines, insurance laws and regulations, and drives the resolution of critical/cost driver risk control issues and problems.
- Conducts on-site client visits to analyze and evaluate hazards and controls to assist underwriting in adequate risk selection & pricing of mid & large commercial, industrial and institutional risks.
- Develops local risk control strategies and directs staff activities to positively impact regional office loss ratios, new business goals and retention requirements to achieve targeted profitability objectives.
- Ensures risk control services are aligned to branch office business & distribution strategies.
- Participates with senior management in the development and implementation of risk control policy, operating plans and business strategy. May also escalate opportunities and/or business needs for new products and services.
- Develops and maintains business relationships with internal and external business partners.
- Communicates regularly with underwriting and Regional Vice Presidents on accounts and branch operational issues, including profit, production, and agency relationships.
- Analyzes individual account, book of business or industry trends and identifies opportunities to provide additional services to client locations, address book of business cost drivers and markets risk control field consultant capabilities to external customers.
- Mentors less experienced risk control staff and other functional areas.
- Stays up to date on risk control issues and regulations, industry activity and trends. May represent the company in industry trade groups.
In all responsibilities and interactions, all employees are expected to adopt and align with CNA’s Winning Behaviours – to be externally focused, accountable, collaborative, innovative, inclusive and continuously learning.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Ability to effectively lead, coach and develop risk control staff.
- Excellent communication, negotiation and presentation skills. Ability to effectively interact with internal and external business partners.
- Senior level technical and business management acumen, risk control skills and knowledge of insurance and risk control principles, practices and procedures.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects and teams.
- Ability to deal with ambiguous situations and issues.
- Creativity in resolving unique and challenging business problems.
- Ability to achieve results by taking a proactive long-term of business goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in engineering or equivalent experience.
- One or more professional designations e.g., chemical, mechanical, fire protection, industrial engineering; CIP etc.
- Minimum of ten years of risk control experience providing and managing a loss control field staff with consultative services.
- Proficiency in multi-line Property & Casualty (G.L, products liability & auto) risk assessment skills
- In-depth technical & engineering knowledge of risk control practices, procedures and standards (i.e. NFPA, FM, Building & Fire Codes) and ability to apply to special hazards occupancies.
As a full-time employee your benefits include:
- A competitive salary
- An annual performance bonus
- A pension plan
- Flexible work hours
- Top of the line medical and dental insurance
- And many more benefits (fitness subsidy, in-house training, etc.)
We are excited to learn more about you!
At CNA, we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants based on job-related qualifications and ability to perform a job. If you require an accommodation during the hiring process or upon hire, please inform Human Resources. If a selected applicant requests accommodation during the recruitment process, CNA will consult with the applicant in order to provide suitable accommodation that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs.
Only selected candidates will be contacted. No agencies please.