Please submit a cover letter and resume to apply for this position.
For more than 100 years, CNA has been providing insurance solutions to over 1 million businesses worldwide. CNA Canada has five strategically placed offices in Montreal, Toronto, Winnipeg, Calgary and Vancouver, making our friendly and knowledgeable staff easily accessible to our customers.
At CNA, we do not just employ people, we provide people with fulfilling careers with many opportunities and room for growth within the industry. We are a company that is constantly evolving and we take pride in our culture and values. When you join the CNA team, you'll work with motivated team members who have pride in - and passion for - what they do. CNA is committed to career growth and development for all levels of team members so they may navigate their own future and grow with the company.
We are focused on success, individually and collectively. Our dedication to employee engagement and the open exchange of ideas is the cornerstone of our business. These ideals, combined with our focus on the customer, have enabled us to explore new market opportunities and build on our success.
Each person at CNA plays an important role in the success of our business, join us and make an impact!
Job Profile Summary
CNA Surety provides a full range of surety and fidelity bonds in all 50 states, Canada and Puerto Rico. Through a combined network of approximately 40,000 appointed agencies, CNA Surety has the capacity, experience and dedication to serve a full range of bonding needs, from the smallest commercial bonds to multi-million dollar contract bonds.
CNA Surety is known for its expert underwriting, solid financial strength, market leadership and creative solutions to all bonding requirements. With a highly diverse product line, one of the broadest underwriting capabilities in the industry, and an unparalleled distribution system, the CNA Surety group of companies ranks as one of the largest writers of surety bonds in the United States. Backed by the financial strength of the CNA Insurance Group, we have one of the highest US Treasury Underwriting Limitations in the surety industry.
Under technical supervision, the Senior Underwriter is responsible for underwriting risks in a surety book of business while developing and nurturing assigned agency and broker relationships. The candidate must demonstrate an understanding of underwriting fundamentals and make consistent and well thought out recommendations. Individual will need to effectively utilize technical data to assist and support the recommendations.
- Reviews applications and financial requirements to determine acceptability of risk in accordance with CNA’s guidelines and standards
- Understands pricing components and rating methodology as well as use of the predictive modeling tools; prices risk based on financial and competitive analysis
- Uses all appropriate underwriting tools, disciplines and knowledge of strategies to ensure underwriting guidelines are followed
- Demonstrates technical underwriting skills through strategic, thorough account reviews and file documentation
- Prepares or analyzes information on adverse underwriting decisions, rate appeals, underwriting requirements, status and declinations in order to drive results within the assigned territory
- Keeps current on territory issues, regulations and trends
- Manages assigned portfolio to achieve gross written premium, profitability, rate, retention, product mix, new business and portfolio management goals
- Prioritizes time and resources to effectively manage and optimize producer performance
- Operates with an Enterprise perspective to identify cross sell opportunities and create growth within other lines of business and customer segments
- Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of CNA’s products and appetite while clearly communicating CNA’s position
Sales & Distribution Management
- Builds/maintains rigorous sales practices using all CNA systems and other sales tools and disciplines
- Develops producer relationships to build pipeline, brokerage intelligence, and drives performance to meet and exceed results
- Develops and implements distributor specific plans, monitors performance, and adjusts plan to ensure a substantial pipeline for future profitable growth
- Drives effective relationship management and customer activities to build trust, facilitate negotiation and secure commitment with the customer
- Proactively identifies cross-sell opportunities and partners with other underwriters to deliver comprehensive insurance solutions for the customer
May perform additional duties as assigned.
In all responsibilities and interactions, all employees are expected to adopt and align with CNA’s Winning Behaviours to be inclusive, externally focused, accountable, collaborative, innovative, and continuously learning.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting or economics is preferred
- Minimum 5-7 years of Surety Underwriting experience preferred
- Knowledge of underwriting processes and tools to gather and evaluate information in order to reach appropriate decisions on renewals and new business
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels of external and/or internal business partners within scope of responsibility, team and/or matrix environment
- Ability to uncover customer needs, position specific solutions, handle objections and close deals
- Ability to exercise judgment, negotiate and make sound business decisions effectively based on level of authority
- Strong ability to identify, analyze and solve problems as well as the ability to learn rapidly, adapt quickly to change, exercise influence, and manage and prioritize multiple concurrent projects
As a full-time employee your benefits include:
· A competitive salary
· An annual performance bonus
· A pension plan
· Flexible work hours
· Top of the line medical and dental insurance
· And many more benefits (fitness subsidy, in-house training, etc.)
We are excited to learn more about you!
At CNA, we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants based on job-related qualifications and ability to perform a job. If you require an accommodation during the hiring process or upon hire, please inform Human Resources. If a selected applicant requests accommodation during the recruitment process, CNA will consult with the applicant in order to provide suitable accommodation that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs.
Only selected candidates will be contacted. No agencies please.