Job Title: Claims Examiner
Job Opening Id: 29035
# Required: 1
Business Unit: Corporate Services
Division: Legal & Court Services
Location: Headquarters Campbell West
Standard Hours: 35.00 / week
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Salary Grade: 4
Salary Range: $ 62,500.00 - $ 73,530.00
Post Date: 2021-07-13
Close Date: 2021-07-26
Approximate Duration: 14 - 20 months
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada’s most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada’s most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario’s most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Reporting to the Risk Management Program Manager, the Claims Examiner is responsible for the administration of claims, including claim response, assessment, defense, settlement negotiation, and the disposing of claims as delegated by the Risk Management Program Manager for the Corporation, the Niagara Police Services Board/Niagara Regional Police Service (NRP) and Niagara Regional Housing (NRH).
Post-secondary degree or diploma in a related field.
Formal training in communication skills, negotiation skills and time management.
3 years to 5 years in the insurance industry with focus on liability claims.
Successful completion of a CIP (Chartered Insurance Professional) designation or working towards same, or some equivalent experience.
Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, internal investigative processes and legislation that governs all operations of the Niagara Region, NRP and NRH.
Investigates, negotiates, resolves or denies claims made against the Niagara Region, NRP and NRH for bodily injury, property losses and general liability within authorized limits as delegated by the Risk Management Program Manager and/or Director of Legal and Court Services. (50% of time)
- Obtains and secures documentation and statements from claimants, witnesses, police authorities, emergency personnel and senior staff to assist in determining liability and negotiating the compensation or resolution of losses.
- Communicates with claimants, witnesses, police authorities, emergency personnel, experts, insurers, councilors, senior staff, adjusters and outside legal counsel in the resolution of claims.
- Advises and supports individual Regional employees regarding court proceedings, claims investigation, insurance requirements, insurance renewal processes and defense processes.
- Investigates, negotiates, and settles first party self-insured claims made on behalf of the Niagara Region, NRP and NRH for property damage and losses within authorized limits as delegated by the Risk Management Program Manager and/or Director of Legal and Court Services.
Interprets insurance policy provisions to determine coverage under the policies of insurance and supports the annual insurance renewal process (20% of time)
- Reviews loss data and risk management services, identifying loss exposures and recommending loss prevention and control techniques to Risk Management Program Manager and/or Director Legal and Court Services.
- Gathers data from various departments for annual underwriting purposes and negotiation of insurance renewal.
- Reviews requests for certificates of insurance and liaises with the Broker.
- Participates in professional associations/government representatives/agencies to exchange beneficial information and remain current on changes in case law and legislation (i.e., the Insurance Act, the Highway Traffic Act, the Occupier’s Liability Act, the Negligence Act, and the Municipal Act, 2001) that may impact claims management activities.
Prepares reports and records as directed, including drafting and serving court documents as delegated by Risk Management Program Manager. (20% of time)
- Completes all required forms in accordance with Legislated Regulations or internal procedures.
- Prepares reports for Council and external auditors on claim settlements, reserves and status of Claims within authority delegated by Risk Management Program Manager.
- Records claims expense data and creates financial reports and spreadsheets for budgeting and forecasting purposes.
Retains the services of and directs outside experts, such as appraisers, engineers, medical specialists, rehabilitation firms and outside counsel as required and as authorized. (5% of time)
- Reviews their reports and takes action as necessary.
- Verifies the accuracy of settlements and claims expenses submitted by service providers.
Attends and represents the Niagara Region, NRP and NRH at mediations, settlement conferences and similar legal proceedings within delegated authority. (5% of time)
- Completes all necessary documentation to support attendance.
- Liaises with client department for instructions and obtains proper authority for settlement negotiations.
- Engages with external legal counsel and insurer, reviews Briefs filed in support of hearing and prepares necessary reports.
Perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned or required.
Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect.
To view the full job description and requirements, visit our Careers page - Job Opening #29035
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow’s challenges…..today!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application no later than July 26th, 2021 before midnight by visiting our ‘Careers’ page at www.niagararegion.ca . We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted