Sr. Specialty Lines (National Programs) Specialist (Work from anywhere in Canada)
Wawanesa Insurance is the largest property and casualty insurance company in Canada. Wawanesa Mutual, founded in 1896 with executive offices in Winnipeg, is the parent company of Wawanesa General, which offers property and casualty insurance in California and Oregon, and Wawanesa Life, which distributes life insurance products and services throughout Canada.
With nearly 4,000 employees, Wawanesa proudly serves over two million policyholders, who are our owners. As an employer, we provide an environment that is respectful, challenging and rewarding. As a corporate citizen, we actively give back to organizations that strengthen communities where we operate, donating well above internationally recognized benchmarks for excellence in corporate philanthropy.
We’re proud to be named a 2021 Best Employer by Kincentric, the provider of our annual employee engagement survey.
The Senior Specialty Lines Specialist contributes to Wawanesa’s success by leading the underwriting of a National Program portfolio, including broker delegated authority, by implementing strategies and initiatives that develop and maintain products, underwriting policies and rates in the specialty commercial lines area. They will proactively search for areas of opportunity to drive profitable growth through national programs and portfolios across distribution channels. Responsibility includes analyzing the acceptability of complex and high premium business within company guidelines by working collaboratively with our Regional underwriters, Business Development and Executive Office teams and providing value added expertise and service to both potential and existing policyholders.
Note: we are hiring in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Edmonton
- Lead the underwriting, contract, wording and pricing analysis for assigned National Programs and/or broker portfolios to ensure that programs/accounts meet financial and operational targets
- Collaborate with claims, loss control, commercial pricing, business development and executive office to ensure we can underwrite, price and service the deal from a claims and loss control perspective to meet financial targets
- Lead research and development initiatives to provide innovative and competitive products to meet our customer needs for specialty commercial lines.
- Develop and present specialty lines training programs to a variety of audiences.
- Mentor and develop team members through the sharing of knowledge and best practices.
- Develop and maintain specialty lines underwriting guidelines and procedures.
- Provide risk acceptance approvals to regional underwriters while sharing knowledge and best practices.
- Develop and enhance productive business relationships by liaising with internal and external stakeholders.
- Leads regional underwriting specialty lines audits and reviews to ensure consistency and find areas for improvement.
- Minimum of ten years Property and Casualty industry experience
- 3+ years’ experience with national programs, manuscript wordings and delegation of underwriting authority is considered an asset
- Completion of post-secondary education
- Completed CIP or equivalent Property and Casualty industry designation
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to conduct detailed analysis of information, and to select and implement best solutions in a timely manner
- Excellent communication, negotiation and presentation skills, with the ability to communicate at the right level for the audience and present information or arguments in a convincing manner
- Excellent planning and organizing skills, with the ability to develop and prioritize effective plans that define activities, resources, timelines, and cost estimates
- Excellent attention to detail with the ability to develop quality standards and mentor other team members in adhering to them
- Ability to facilitate high team moral
- Ability and willingness to travel