Wawanesa Insurance is the largest property and casualty insurance company in Canada. Wawanesa Mutual, founded in 1896 with executive offices in Winnipeg, is the parent company of Wawanesa General, which offers property and casualty insurance in California and Oregon, and Wawanesa Life, which distributes life insurance products and services throughout Canada.
With nearly 4,000 employees, Wawanesa proudly serves over two million policyholders, who are our owners. As an employer, we provide an environment that is respectful, challenging and rewarding. As a corporate citizen, we actively give back to organizations that strengthen communities where we operate, donating well above internationally recognized benchmarks for excellence in corporate philanthropy.
We’re proud to be named a 2021 Best Employer by Kincentric, the provider of our annual employee engagement survey.
The Senior Underwriter – Commercial Lines is responsible for analyzing the acceptability of complex and high premium volume mid-market business according to company guidelines by working collaboratively with our sales force and providing value added expertise and service to both potential and existing policyholders.
- Perform risk analysis using technology as well as external data sources for the purposes of quoting, negotiating and authorizing the acceptance of risk.
- Arrange reinsurance or subscribing companies where appropriate.
- Determine eligibility for policy renewals based on guidelines and retention goals of the company.
- Maintain accurate records of decisions made and maintain completeness of policy data.
- Communicate decisions, and respond to requests in a prompt and professional manner.
- Act as a subject matter expert for insurance policies, processes, regulations and audit.
- Mentor and train less experienced team members.
- Participate in periodic work reviews for quality assurance purposes.
- Support the development and implementation of business change.
- Ensure efficient handling of work assignments, including calls.
- Influence team members in a positive manner, and provide short term direction effectively working towards team goals.
- Foster positive working relationships with internal and external parties, including networking at industry events.
- 5+ years property and casualty commercial underwriting experience in the insurance industry.
- Post-secondary education or related business experience.
- Completed or actively pursuing a Property and Casualty Industry Designation.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent attention to detail with the ability to review information carefully and comprehensively.
- Excellent decision making skills with the ability to provide justification.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to present information in a convincing manner.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to identify and implement solutions.
- Adapts to change and performs effectively under pressure.
- Ability to multi-task and monitor progress to meet deadlines.