Wawanesa Insurance is the largest property and casualty insurance company in Canada. Wawanesa Mutual, founded in 1896 with executive offices in Winnipeg, is the parent company of Wawanesa General, which offers property and casualty insurance in California and Oregon, and Wawanesa Life, which distributes life insurance products and services throughout Canada.
With nearly 4,000 employees, Wawanesa proudly serves over two million policyholders, who are our owners. As an employer, we provide an environment that is respectful, challenging and rewarding. As a corporate citizen, we actively give back to organizations that strengthen communities where we operate, donating well above internationally recognized benchmarks for excellence in corporate philanthropy.
We’re proud to be named a 2021 Best Employer by Kincentric, the provider of our annual employee engagement survey.
Working under minimal supervision, the Underwriting Supervisor - Personal Lines is responsible for providing leadership to a personal lines underwriting team while overseeing the daily operations.
- Provide leadership and mentorship through coaching and feedback to communicate expectations for employee performance and facilitate sessions for the sharing of knowledge and best practices.
- Identify opportunities for employee development, providing support and mentorship to employees
- Work in collaboration with Underwriting Excellence to ensure adherence to policies, procedures and underwriting guidelines.
- Perform employee performance reviews and interview potential new employees.
- Communicate decisions and respond to requests in a prompt and professional manner.
- Influence team members in a positive manner and support the development and implementation of business change for both short- and long-term direction effectively working towards team goals
- Consult with Management on underwriting and staffing issues.
- Actively participate in department strategic planning including goal setting
- Participate in Large Loss Reviews, providing feedback and recommendations on underwriting decisions
- Foster positive working relationships with internal and external parties, including networking at industry events.
- Five years Property and Casualty industry experience
- Post-secondary education or related business experience.
- Completed a Property and Casualty Industry Designation.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong leadership skills to positively influence team members and provide direction.
- Prior leadership experience is a strong asset
- Excellent attention to detail with the ability to review information carefully and comprehensively.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving with the ability to select and implement best solutions.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to present information in a convincing manner.
- Excellent decision-making skills with the ability to provide justification.
- Adapts to change and performs effectively under pressure.
- Ability to multi-task and monitor progress to meet deadlines.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong ability to multi-task and monitor progress to meet deadlines.
- Adapts to change and performs effectively under pressure. Ability and willingness to travel.