Wawanesa Insurance is the largest property and casualty insurance company in Canada. Wawanesa Mutual, founded in 1896 with executive offices in Winnipeg, is the parent company of Wawanesa General, which offers property and casualty insurance in California and Oregon, and Wawanesa Life, which distributes life insurance products and services throughout Canada.
With nearly 4,000 employees, Wawanesa proudly serves over two million policyholders, who are our owners. As an employer, we provide an environment that is respectful, challenging and rewarding. As a corporate citizen, we actively give back to organizations that strengthen communities where we operate, donating well above internationally recognized benchmarks for excellence in corporate philanthropy.
We’re proud to be named a 2021 Best Employer by Kincentric, the provider of our annual employee engagement survey.
Working under minimal supervision, the Underwriting Manager – Personal Lines is responsible for managing and supporting the direction of the underwriting department (and loss control). The role acts as a leader and mentor within the organization to achieve targeted business results with an emphasis on high quality customer service.
- Manage the performance of the portfolio and workflow to meet targeted benchmarks for both short and long term goals.
- Evaluate economic and industry environment for potential or current impacts to business and recommend changes working collaboratively with Executive Office.
- Manage team performance through proactive coaching, employee development and performance appraisals.
- Ensure adherence to policies, procedures and underwriting guidelines.
- Influence the underwriting culture while supporting the company’s risk appetite (and loss control program).
- Champion the development and implementation of business change.
- Participate and/or lead in the interview process on the hiring of new employees.
- Analyze risk and recommend an informed course of action.
- Participate and contribute to the development of regional strategies, target benchmarks and business plans.
- Participate, contribute and manage the annual budget including staff forecasting.
- Participate and contribute to the succession planning process.
- Foster positive working relationships with internal and external parties, including other regional offices and networking at industry events.
- Eight years Property and Casualty industry experience.
- Post-secondary education and/or completion of a Property and Casualty Industry Designation
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Expert leadership skills with the ability to motivate and engage high performing teams while managing change.
- Excellent negotiation skills with the ability to present information or arguments in a convincing manner.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to select and implement best solutions.
- Excellent decision making skills with the ability to provide justification.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to present information in a convincing manner.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent ability to multi-task and monitor progress to meet deadlines.
- Ability and willingness to travel.