Commercial Underwriter (Property and Casualty)
Property and Casualty Underwriter
About The Organization
South Western Insurance Group Ltd is the largest wholly and privately owned Managing General Agent/ Wholesale Insurance Intermediary (in Canada) offering a broad range of insurance solutions for specialty, niche, program and insurance needs that require innovative solutions.
Since 1961 we have proudly provided underwriting expertise to independent insurance brokers across Canada with offices located in Toronto, Quebec, & Vancouver. We have earned a reputation for excellence in underwriting, risk management and customer service. We are continuously perfecting the way we do business and are satisfied with nothing less than the absolute highest level of service. Our vision is to be the preferred Canadian Managing General Agent/ Wholesaler based on superior service and underwriting excellence delivered by knowledgeable staff.
About The Opportunity
Working closely with internal teams, you will be accountable for assessing, evaluating and making decisions about risks for both new and existing customers. This position is responsible for supporting the development and maintenance of a profitable portfolio of desirable business through marketing, analysis, sales, service and underwriting.
The ideal candidate will be a highly self-motivated individual and collaborator who is client focused, proactive in dealing with situations and uses critical judgment to make decisions to offer solutions.
Responsibilities & What You’ll Be Doing:
• Produce and underwrite new and renewal business by assessing the risk, pricing, choosing the appropriate market/company, preparing final quote and sending it to the broker; to consistently achieve budgeted financial results (premium, loss ratio, retention, commissions, pricing, new business, premium collection, and expense management) through execution of market segment strategies.
• Interact and collaborate with a team of market segment colleagues and other critical internal/external business associates.
• Underwriter is responsible for assessing, loss analyzing, negotiating, rating, and issuing new business, renewals and endorsements for an assigned portfolio based on the company’s underwriting pricing and guidelines.
• Produce policy changes and endorsement by underwriting, pricing and issuing policies;
• Establish and maintain professional working relationships with markets/companies and brokers through telephone conversations and one-to-one meetings (as may be required);
• Overall administration of assigned accounts from submission to expiration;
• Corresponding directly with brokers and other external contacts;
• Collaborating and corresponding verbally and in writing with internal support teams;
• Performing quality control of rating, coding, and issuance output to ensure accuracy of work (e.g. exposure bases, limits, coverage extensions, modifications, data entry, etc.);
• Mentor / train junior underwriter(s) and technical assistant(s);
• Continuously manage book of business (maintain quality of business required by market segment strategy).
• Accountable for accurate underwriting documentation/ information in account management systems and adherence to documentation standards.
• Customer interaction focuses on meeting customer expectations for response time and knowledge of products and business.
• Demonstrate operational excellence by complying with Best Practices, and managing desk to meet customer expectations.
• Work strategically and tactically with brokers to ensure appropriate level of understanding of company goals and objectives.
• Conduct self in a professional manner both internally and externally
• Identify, analyze and develop sources of new business; assists in developing marketing strategies for new or improved products.
• Partner with peers in other product lines to leverage multi-line opportunities.
• Establish and maintain superior business and service oriented partnerships with SWG’s broker partners through; regular and frequent attendance communication and service standards
• Maintain market intelligence, business insurance trends and industry knowledge.
What We Are Look For:
• Bachelor’s degree preferred and/or; CIP or FCIP designation or equivalent
• 5+ years of commercial property, casualty and/or liability underwriting experience preferably
• Expertise and depth in policy wordings, forms and applicable coverage's.
• Superior relationship management skills proven through established broker relationships
• Demonstrated track record of generating new business premium.
• Demonstrable proficiency in underwriting basic to moderately complex books of commercial
property and casualty products
• Strong organizational/administrative skills and highly detail oriented.
• Excellent presentation skills - comfortable speaking in front of small and large groups.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work independently and as a contributing team member.
• Ability to deliver results even when working to meet tight deadlines.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite;
• Proven mathematical and analytical skills;
• Considerable experience in a highly service-oriented role;
• Effective problem solver with initiative to be innovative and creative with developing new ideas and concepts;
• Exemplary interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships;
• Excellent time management skills with proven ability to prioritize, handle multiple tasks and move between projects continuously;
• Committed to team-based environments;
• Proven ability to handle confidential material with the highest level of discretion;
• Demonstrated ability to flourish in environments of significant change;
• Autonomous (comfortable working with minimal supervision);
• Strong business acumen and capable of representing the organization externally
• Problem solving and decision-making skills in order to form effective underwriting recommendations for moderately complex situations
• Capable and motivated to work as situations may require on both an individual and team level
Why Work With Us?
• Work-life balance with flexible work hours;
• Support of continuing education training and programs;
• Comprehensive Health and Dental Benefits;
Commitment to Open Doors
We are committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse workforce.
Diversity and Inclusion
South Western Insurance Group is an inclusive and accessible employer, committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people’s differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
Please note, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.