Reports to: Registrar and Director, Examinations
Job Summary: The Manager, Examination Development (MED) oversees all aspects of examination development activities and provides coaching and oversight to Examination Specialists (ESs) on developing valid and reliable examinations. The MED works closely with the Director to implement initiatives aimed at improving the examinations and examinations development processes. The MED also communicates change initiatives and works cross-departmentally to ensure organizational alignment.
About the Insurance Institute
The Insurance Institute is the premier source of professional education and career development for the country’s property and casualty insurance industry. Established in 1899, the Institute is a not-for-profit organization serving more than 40,000 members across Canada through 19 volunteer-driven provincial institutes and chapters. Over 20,000 of those members are students and more than 17,000 are graduates who have earned the Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) designation or Fellow Chartered Insurance Professional (FCIP) designation. We are a founding member of the Institute for Global Insurance Education (IGIE).
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Exam Development Support
- Facilitates workshops on question development, job task analyses, blueprint validation, and item data analysis.
- Trains and coaches Examination Specialists (ES) on continuous improvement activities related to examination development activities.
- Conducts item bank reviews for suitability for assessment and advises staff on improvement areas.
- Adheres to the Standards of Educational and Psychological Testing.
- Ability to quickly learn and work with item authoring and administration software (Yardstick’s Measure).
- Expertise in proctored exam administration.
- Excellent skills in Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Project, SPSS or other psychometric analysis software.
- Works with Director to set project scope, deliverables, and timelines for new and existing initiatives.
- Develops and manages schedules and project plans and interacts with staff and SMEs to fulfill deliverables.
- Liaises with all resources on projects and ensures resources are available when required.
- Coordinates troubleshooting measures when required to ensure projects stay within scope, budget, and acceptable timelines.
Process and Workflow
- Designs, optimizes, and updates processes and workflows to align with examination standards and best practices, and implements continuous improvements.
- Coordinates between cross functional teams (e.g., IT and Academic Programs and Product Development) to ensure alignment.
- Communicates process or exam changes to relevant stakeholders (e.g., local chapters, instructors, students).
- Manages a team of Examination Specialists.
- Maintains a pool of subject matter experts (SMEs).
- Liaises with stakeholders to recruit SMEs.
- Manages SME contracts.
- Provides SME training.
- Provides support to Examination Specialists and other staff as needed.
- Manages a pool of examination markers.
- Provides training, quality audits and ensuring adherence to marking standards.
Carries out other duties as assigned.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Ability to effectively manage staff
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Ability to work with and motivate people
- Ability to learn new software and technology applications
- Strategic thinking
- Analytical problem-solving
- Exceptional verbal and written communication and organizational skills
- Attention to detail
- Collaborative leadership
- Dynamic, self-motivated
- Takes initiative
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Masters in educational measurement, industrial and organizational psychology, or a related field.
- At least 3 years full-time experience in a comparable role (education or certification and licensure).
Work location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Assets: French Proficiency
Contact: Lance Macdonald, Manager, People Solutions
905-276-2006 x115; email@example.com
The Insurance Institute welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.