Under general supervision, the Associate Underwriter, Commercial Mid-Market is responsible for timely and accurate underwriting of a renewal book including endorsements. Provides high level support to underwriting department.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Work directly with brokers to negotiate, underwrite and price renewals and endorsements within designated authority. When outside of authority refer to the next underwriting level for approval.
- Underwrites and prices within designated authority; Endorsements and Certificates as required.
- Manage all premiums including new business, renewals and endorsements within corporate guidelines.
- Complete underwriting reports, order inspections, review and follow-up on recommendations of inspections, and analyze loss experience.
- Work with underwriters to ensure all new business is properly documented and the E-file integrity is maintained for all accounts, including renewals.
- Update price monitor report.
- Manage broker communications and accompanies broker visits as required.
- May assist underwriters with underwriting new business.
- Participate in Salesforce/Cross sell initiative.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
In all responsibilities and interactions, all employees are expected to adopt and align with CNA’s Winning Behaviours – to be externally focused, accountable, collaborative, innovative, inclusive and continuously learning.
Reports to the Underwriting Manager
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- A proven track record in customer service coupled with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Preferred candidates will possess either an underwriting or broking background.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical, organizational and time management skills. Must be detail oriented.
- Ability to conceptualize details and develop action plans for problem solving and decision making.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment with limited supervision
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.
- Proficiency in calculation skills and application of mathematical principles to solve problems.
Education & Experience
- University degree, college diploma or equivalent business experience.
- A minimum of 1 to 2 years of related insurance or business experience.
- Progress towards completion of CIP designation is desired.
As a full-time employee your benefits include:
- A competitive salary
- An annual performance bonus
- A pension plan
- Flexible work hours
- Top of the line medical and dental insurance
- And many more benefits (fitness subsidy, in-house training, etc.)
We are excited to learn more about you!
At CNA, we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants based on job-related qualifications and ability to perform a job. If you require an accommodation during the hiring process or upon hire, please inform Human Resources. If a selected applicant requests accommodation during the recruitment process, CNA will consult with the applicant in order to provide suitable accommodation that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs.