Whether a private or public company or not-for-profit entity, every organization is responsible for its workforce. Unfortunately, none of them is immune to management liability risks like allegations of wrongful termination, allegations against directors or officers, or breach of fiduciary duties with respect to employee benefit or pension plans. Our Management Liability capabilities include a powerful combination of Directors & Officers Liability (D&O), Employment Practices Liability (EPL), Fiduciary Liability, Fidelity and Crime insurance.
As Underwriting Manager, you will be responsible for the effective management and development of an underwriting unit with the objective of promoting a disciplined underwriting culture, with a focus on effective portfolio and product management. The successful candidate will also coordinate overall underwriting strategies with the AVP, Specialty. Individual may also have regional, industry segment or company-wide scope of responsibility.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Coaches, leads and develops a team of underwriting staff to produce and underwrite business within the team to achieve profit, sales and growth objectives.
- Drives initiatives and business strategies in order to achieve profit, sales and growth objectives.
- Evaluates underwriting performance based on financial analysis. Includes rate, reserve adequacy, operational, planning and product reviews. Provides results to members of the underwriting management team and develops plans to resolve issues.
- Drives adherence to underwriting authority delegation, audit criteria and catastrophe management for a product line or segment.
- Collaborates with business partners in Risk Control, Actuarial, Claim, Operations and Compliance to address governance and compliance issues related to underwriting practices.
- Develops, maintains and cultivates broker relationships to ensure positive and profitable outcomes.
- Implements strategic objectives, underwriting strategies and best practices with substantial impact on the short-term success of a product line or segment.
- Keeps current on issues and regulations, industry activity and trends. May participate in industry trade groups.
- Ensure a positive, professional company image is maintained within the business community, the insurance industry and the producers selling our product.
- Manages work and business flow within the department through work assignment and referral procedures.
- Drives adherence to underwriting authority delegation, audit criteria and catastrophe management.
- Provides guidance and direction in the development of underwriting and training tools
May perform additional duties as assigned.
In all responsibilities and interactions, all employees are expected to adopt and align with CNA’s Winning Behaviours – to be externally focused, accountable, collaborative, innovative, inclusive and continuously learning.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- In-depth technical knowledge of underwriting theories and practices within the insurance and financial lines field.
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels of external and/or internal business partners within scope of responsibility, team and/or matrix environment.
- Leadership and management skills, demonstrating integrity and professionalism.
- Ability to drive results by identifying, and resolving problems within scope of responsibility
- Knowledge of the insurance industry, its products and services.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.
Education & Experience
- University degree desired plus a minimum of 7-8 years of financial lines industry experience. Previous experience in a management capacity is an asset but not required.
- Proven expertise in managing developing book of Management Liability and/or Financial Institutions, and established relationships in the field.
- Completion of RPLU or Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) is an asset.
As a full-time employee your benefits include:
- A competitive salary
- An annual performance bonus
- A pension plan
- Flexible work hours
- Top of the line medical and dental insurance
- And many more benefits (fitness subsidy, in-house training, etc.)
We are excited to learn more about you!
At CNA, we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants based on job-related qualifications and ability to perform a job. If you require an accommodation during the hiring process or upon hire, please inform Human Resources. If a selected applicant requests accommodation during the recruitment process, CNA will consult with the applicant in order to provide suitable accommodation that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs.