Insurance Advisor - Farm
Internal Title: Insurance Advisor, Commercial Lines (Farm)
Location: Any of the Alberta offices of MMI Insurance (see below)
Reports to: Manager, Underwriting, Commercial Lines
We are an ambitious, growing company looking for a candidate with the right training and experience to provide the best service and products to our clients while working in a strong team environment. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package, a positive culture, along with training and development opportunities.
Our mission and vision are focused on meeting the insurance needs of our clients in the province of Alberta.
To best serve our clients, we hire the best candidate based on their passion, experience, and knowledge. Therefore, our team is strong due to its diversity not necessarily because they share the same faith as many of our clients.
For over 60 years we have insured homes, farms, churches, and businesses in the province of Alberta. To learn more about our history, mission, vision and so on, please visit: https://mmiab.ca/about-mmi/ .
This is a full-time position with salary compensation, and we are filling 1 position.
The Insurance Advisor, Commercial Lines reviews the insurance needs of customers and matches insurance products to meet those needs. They underwrite and sell new Commercial Lines automobile, property, and other types of insurance and service existing clients.
The successful candidate will have industry experience in Alberta Farm property, and automobile including fleet insurance. As part of the underwriting and direct sales team, they will also play a key role in handling our existing Farm Lines business. Duties will include direct customer contact as well as other supporting technical duties, as part of a team.
- Determine the insurance needs for new and existing clients and sell the products that meet those needs
- Meet production targets as set by the management team
- Meet all service standards
- Follow-up on all leads within service standard requirements
- Accurately complete applications and endorsements for automobile, property, and other insurance
- Underwrite new business and endorsements in compliance with company guidelines
- Provide complete documentation for all transactions and client conversations
- Order property inspections as per Loss Control guidelines
- Follow all company processes
- Act in compliance with all government regulations pertaining to General Insurance Agents
- Attend functions to represent MMI, as assigned by Manager
- Complete continuing education hours to maintain General Insurance License
- Work in conjunction with other departments, underwriting, accounting, claims, IT, Loss control
- Mentor new staff
- Assist customers with their daily insurance needs via phone, in person and by email
- Follow up on all client accounts to resolve outstanding activities
- Communicate decisions, and respond to requests in a prompt and professional manner with client inquiries
- Learn rating procedures, wordings, underwriting policies, and regulations
- Remain up to date on product knowledge and build relationships with insurance providers
- Generate leads through community involvement and events
- Knowledge of each Insurance Company’s products, endorsements, packages, and payment plans
- Foster positive working relationships with internal and external parties, including other branch offices
- Occasional travel will be required
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- 2 or more years of experience with insuring farms
- Minimum AIC General Agent Level 1 License working towards level 2
- CAIB and/or CIP Designations are desirable
- Strong sales and communication skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong attention to detail, analytical, and problem solving
- Demonstrated planning and organizing skills with the ability to prioritize daily tasks
- Flexibility as to types of work assigned and prioritization. Insurance Advisors will at times have to serve several different customers and work on several different projects at one time.
- Works well with a team, has an ability to assist and support others in achieving work related goals.
- Able to maintain the confidentiality of policyholders, business, staff, and management information. Respects and adheres to the privacy laws
- Beginner to Intermediate Microsoft Office Skills (Outlook, Word, Excel…)
- Willingness to travel
Working Conditions or Special Circumstances
- Location could be any of our offices in Alberta which includes La Crete, Grande Prairie, Edmonton, Calgary, or Lethbridge
- The work schedule is generally Monday-Friday, 7 hours per day, with a one-hour unpaid lunch. However, the Insurance Advisor may have to work odd or long hours at a time to complete special requests or projects, with Branch Manager’s approval
- Work interruption can be frequent in meeting the needs of clients and fellow team members.
- Physical requirements:
- Computer use for up to 7 hours per day
- Sitting for up to 7 hours per day
- Occasional travel to client sites required
- Note that some of the job responsibilities may be modified to comply with government restrictions around COVID-19 and working from home may be required and accommodated temporarily as needed.
To apply for this role
Please reply, including a cover letter and resume, to: firstname.lastname@example.org.