Manager, Insurance Brokerage Services
Reporting to the Senior Director, Insurance Underwriting & Brokerage Operations this position is responsible to manage a team of member facing insurance consultants, directly service member accounts; and supports the Senior Director in the annual renewal of the AMSC Insurance Program. This position is also responsible for planning, organizing, staffing and directing the activities of the Insurance team, along with underwriting a portfolio of municipal and not-for-profit entities.
Full Time, Permanent
Education and Skills
- Completion of Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) designation.
- Completion of or working towards Canadian Risk Management (CRM) designation.
- A post-secondary education in a related discipline and/or equivalent on the job experience.
- Level 2 insurance license.
- Minimum of 7-10 years’ experience with Property & Casualty insurance.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of underwriting principles.
- Significant commercial insurance or risk management background.
- Solid understanding of insurance wordings and be able to interpret them.
- Proven experience developing insurance policy wordings and related endorsements.
- Direct significant experience in the delivery of insurance and related services, including supporting relevant reporting processes, and operation of effective customer-oriented information and related systems.
- Appreciation of the legal and regulatory environment governing the delivery of insurance services.
Skills and Attributes
- The ability to build effective relationships with team members and customers.
- Strong computer literacy and familiarity with insurance system programs.
- Demonstrate the ability to lead, coach, and motivate others involved in service delivery.
- Will fit within an open management style environment.
- Has an honest, open, and consistent approach to working with others in the organization.
- A team player and people-orientated with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Is collaborative as well as a good listener.
- Has an open and honest communication style along with strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Consults others appropriately.
- Has the ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced and changing environment.
- Self-motivated and self-directed with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Resourceful and sources out possibilities; develops new ideas and moves them forward. Utilizes resources available in order to get the job done.
- Creative and takes advantage of opportunities, while recognizing the necessity of working within limited resources.
- Continuously seeks to stay current and be at the leading edge in their field.
- Driven toward achieving results.
- Understands organizational challenges and is a progressive “idea person”.
- Committed to excellence, innovation, and continuous improvement in the workplace.
- Encourages others to achieve personal excellence.
· Subject Matter Expert and point person for Claims advocacy, Risk Management and Business Development activities.
· Able to take on management of select member accounts.
· Manage team of insurance consultants, assist in staff development and performance management.
· Execute and report on team operational plan.
· Monitor member needs and market trends for service and future product development.
· Participate in member consultations, events and education.
· Maintain and develop appropriate workflows, product updates etc.
· Report on trends and issues that may impact reciprocal’s retention levels or new business opportunities.
- Provide advice and background for communicating to members.
- Assign work activities, projects, and programs to team members.
- Monitor the workflow, work product quality, methods and procedures used by the team and recommend improvements.
- Keep team informed with frequent communications.
- Provide motivation, direction, continuous training, and education to the team.
- Create, maintain, and monitor authority levels for all team members.
- Contribute to the development of business and strategic plans for the various AUMA insurance entities.
· Lead member-level underwriting activities for new and existing business referrals, alternative retentions or coverage requests.
· Respond to technical product referrals from the team.
· Monitor book for emerging issues from members, markets, and assist the Manager, Risk Management in Loss Control trends that may impact Underwriting outcomes.
· Support annual program renewal process as needed.
· Provide scheduled reports on Facultative placements, annual Total Insured Values, vehicle changes etc.
· Reconcile insurer invoices and submit for payments.
· Reconcile year end premium adjustments with insurers.
· Review renewal policy wordings as received from insurers for accuracy and summarize changes for staff and members.
- Update and implement underwriting standards, and processes to ensure all underwriting information of members is accurate.
- Develop or assist in the development of educational programs, workshops and informational meetings designed to communicate Insurance program activities and promote services to members.