Red River Mutual is a progressive insurance company with a focus on our customers and employees. We believe everyone has a right to feel safe and protected, and to know that someone is looking out for them. So we treat our employees like family members – we’ll be honest with them, support them, offer a listening ear, admit when we’re wrong and be a positive force in their lives and in our communities.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Commercial Underwriter is responsible for underwriting moderate to complex property/casualty policies to contribute to a profitable portfolio of business within Manitoba and Saskatchewan. They contribute to achieving projected objectives for brokers by monitoring and controlling quality of business underwritten. This position involves working closely with a group of brokers to leverage a strong relationship in creating new business opportunities.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Review, quote and manage commercial mid-market requests for new business, endorsements and renewals.
- Assess risk and apply effective underwriting practices to maximize profitability.
- Consult with management in unique risk scenarios to maintain quality and risk selection outside of established authority levels
- Implement and negotiate facultative reinsurance
- Influence the development and deployment of commercial lines products.
- Maintain knowledge of current market and industry trends, pricing levels and policy form amendments.
- Monitor review and report on activity and results.
- Various projects/initiatives as required.
- Participate in insurance industry and broker events.
- Provide and maintain excellent levels of customer service.
- Frequent travel to broker offices to conduct in-person meetings.
- Cultivate relationships with brokers and reinsurance partners.
- Work cross-functionally within Red River Mutual departments (marketing, human resources, broker relations, loss prevention, claims etc.)
QUALIFICATION AND SKILLS:
- 5-10 years’ underwriting experience.
- Degree in business, or other relevant field
- CIP designation or working towards and/or equivalent qualification.
- Experience in all aspects of commercial lines underwriting and risk assessment.
- Experience in customer service.
- Proven leadership, team work and collaboration skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- High level of organization and attention to detail.
- Planning, analysis and problem solving skills.
- Ability to adapt and innovate.
- Effective negotiating, judgment, and decision making skills.
- High stress tolerance.
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License (proof will be required upon the presentation of job offer).