Sr. Liability Claims Examiner
The mission of the Rural Municipalities of Alberta (RMA) is to “empower its members through proactive leadership, strategic partnerships, effective advocacy and collective business services”. RMA Insurance (a subsidiary of the Rural Municipalities of Alberta) is one of Canada’s oldest municipal/public sector insurance programs and has been protecting members since 1955. RMA Insurance’s portfolio insures over $12B in assets and over 13,000 vehicles, making it one of the largest as well.
We have a permanent full-time position available in our Claims Department for a liability RINGER!
If you have experience examining or field adjusting liability, Municipal or CGL, or complex/specialty risk files – this may be the opportunity you have been looking for. This is the chance to stretch your mind working on interesting files with a true work-life balance.
The right candidate enjoys collaborating with their (in our case - small) team about coverage, negotiations and the ‘details’ part of the job – but prides themselves on their ability to work independently and remain self-motivated.
At RMA, we aim to give respectful service with an honest and transparent approach both amongst each other internally, with our vendors and most significantly - with our Members. It is essential that you value fairness and integrity as well.
We participate in an actual 36.25-hour workweek. Overtime is available when needed. Personal days. Great benefits. Paid stat and non-stat holidays. New equipment and technology to do your job seamlessly and comfortably both in office and remotely. A fresh team and the chance to build with us as we plan to grow.
The Senior Claims Examiner will have access to highly confidential member and association information, and it is expected and required information be held in the strictest confidence. They are responsible for directing and/or performing investigation, evaluation, negotiation, and disposition of various types of claims including large loss or issue-oriented, or which involve a great deal of complexity in an examining capacity.
- Appoint, control and direct external service providers including adjusters, legal counsel, and other experts as per industry standards. Ensure coordinated and timely investigation through communication with adjusters, lawyers, and engineers. Manage both defense and coverage counsel experts. Management of external counsel in performing coverage analysis and resolution strategies. On litigated claims this would include development and implementation of defense strategies as well as Alternative Dispute Resolution.
- May need to meet and negotiate with members and give direction to experts in various fields depending on the needs of the situation.
- Able to exercise strong judgment with minimum direction in resolving complex or contentious situations.
- Review and interpret property and liability policy wordings, acts, regulations, and legislation in order to confirm coverage.
- Set reserves and authorize payment within scope of authority and settle claims in the most cost effective and timely manner possible.
- Control indemnity and expenses through proactive claims handling techniques, including the pursuit of subrogation where applicable.
- Ensure all claims negotiations are conducted with integrity and that settlements are accurate and fair.
- Attend training as necessary to ensure skills evolve with changes in the industry.
- Assist the Claims Manager, as necessary.
- Minimum 10 years claims adjusting or examining experience.
- Experience in Liability/Casualty/Property claims adjusting with associated technical expertise.
- University Degree, College Diploma, CIP or FCIP, or equivalent experience.
- Strong Business Planning and negotiation skills.
- Flexibility and ability to problem solve.
- Enthusiastically support change, share experiences, and actively seek new challenges.
- Strong communication skills, including listening, interviewing, negotiating, and must be able to flex style appropriate to audience.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and manage conflicting priorities in an effective manner.
- Proactive and positive approach to member service ensuring that all enquiries are effectively dealt with in a timely manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills enabling an ability to effectively deal with conflict and difficult situations.
- Strong commitment to the association goals and philosophy.
- An understanding of the concept of Reciprocal Insurance Exchanges and the unique Insured; Insurer client relationship they present.
- Commensurate on experience, post-secondary education (bachelor, CIP or FCIP, or industry equivalent), and determined according to the current RMA salary grid.
- Includes a comprehensive benefits package plus Local Authorities Pension Plan (LAPP) pension, after applicable waiting periods.
Applicants who are extended an employment offer will be required to complete a pre-employment check. All employment offers are contingent upon the successful completion of this pre-employment process.
Candidates must submit, in confidence, a covering letter and resume detailing qualifications, work experience, and reference to Monica An, HR Analyst.
A complete position profile is avaliable at RMAlberta.com
We thank all applicants in advance of their submissions, but only those chosen for an interview will be notified.