Commercial Senior Underwriter
- Maintain the long term profitability of a significant portfolio of accounts regardless of market conditions within the bounds of internal underwriting guidelines and individual authority.
- Works with an assigned group of brokers in accordance with the regional commercial business plan for profitability, growth, retention and service standards;
- Delegate renewals and tasks to underwriters and technical assistants and participate in quarterly audits to monitor adherence to guidelines and service standards. Produce necessary statistics and reports to management as required;
- Develop and maintain positive business relationships within the brokerage community. Participate in broker visitation in person or virtual, and attend corporate functions for marketing purposes as required. Monitor and assess competitive factors in the market and keep informed of changing market conditions to report to management;
- Lead team new business meetings, provide mentoring and coaching to the team to resolve complex underwriting issues, and lead the team in committed attempts to finding solutions to challenging issues;
- Ability to work independently from home or office.
- All other related tasks.
- Ability to select, underwrite and manage commercial accounts;
- Excellent working knowledge of Commercial Lines underwriting techniques, guidelines, forms, coverages, and rates;
- Knowledge of broker/insurance company relationships and the ability to apply this knowledge to the underwriting of an account;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong organizational, planning and decision making skills;
- Good team player.
- Post-secondary degree;
- Five to ten years of progressive mid-market commercial underwriting experience;
- CIP/FCIP designation (or enrolment).