Underwriting Specialist – Risk Managed Casualty
At CNA, we are focused on success, individually and collectively. We pride ourselves on promoting a culture that challenges and engages people. We strive to connect people, departments and business areas, to function as a team, and to serve our customers and communities with professionalism and respect.
Our dedication to employee engagement, continuous learning and the open exchange of ideas is the cornerstone of our business. These ideals, combined with our focus on the customer, enable us to explore new market opportunities and build on our success.
Our values, culture and financial strength are what differentiate us from other employers and make CNA the place you want to work. Learn more about CNA Insurance Canada at www.cnacanada.ca. Join our team as an Underwriter!
The Underwriting Specialist is responsible for using technical direction and underwriting risks in a book of business. The specialist works within specific limits of authority on assignments requiring significant technical complexity and coordination and is a member of the package referral team across Canada. They are responsible for utilizing underwriting policies and guidelines, rating manual rules and insurance laws and regulations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Develop account infrastructure and protocols in order to underwrite a book of primary casualty risk management accounts
- Develops market leading products and services to drive profitable growth and position CNA as a top quartile performer.
- Establish underwriting protocols, define and document acceptable collateral arrangements, rating plans (developed in conjunction with actuarial), captive structures, governance, contracts, service level agreements and coordinate with risk control and claims in order to establish appropriate protocols to facilitate proper underwriting
- Understands pricing components and rating methodology as well as use of the predictive modeling tools; prices risk based on financial and competitive analysis
- Prepares or analyzes information on adverse underwriting decisions, rate appeals, underwriting requirements, status and declinations in order to drive results within the assigned regions
- Prepares quotes and answers questions from agencies, policyholders or other external contacts and escalates issues to management along with proposed solutions as necessary. Negotiates with agents to reach positive and profitable outcomes.
- Provides expert level technical oversight to ensure business is written in accordance with appetites, authorities and will achieve target loss and expense ratios and act as a National referral point for complex commercial package accounts.
- Develop and facilitate technical training across Canada for Underwriting talent in collaboration with Regional Leaders
- Works with outside agencies to assist the underwriter’s view of the financial strength of an insured.
- Develops specialized endorsement language for highly complex risks.
- Determines appropriate pricing of risks for assigned book of business based on financial and competitive analysis in line with compliance requirements. Makes recommendations on underwriting policy and pricing strategy.
- Supports the governance of the middle market book of business, including referrals, manuscript policy changes, wording approvals, and authority change recommendations.
- Adheres to CAT guidelines and underwriting discipline to minimize exposure and appropriately price
- Builds and develops strong relationships with distribution partners and internal field underwriters.
- Builds strong and collaborative relationships with Regional Vice Presidents to support the development of business in the regions.
- Collaborates with claims, risk control and actuarial to ensure the highest degree of execution
- Build strong relationships with US Underwriting and Underwriting Services
- Work with Human Resources and Marketing to develop human resource, training and communication plans
Sales & Distribution Management
- Builds/maintains rigorous sales practices using all CNA systems including SalesForce.com and other sales tools and disciplines
- Develops producer relationships to build pipeline, agency intelligence, and drives performance to meet and exceed results
- Develops and implements distributor specific plans, monitors performance, and adjusts plan to ensure a substantial pipeline for future profitable growth
- Monitor in collaboration with the team the timely premium collection and deliver of local policies and documentation.
- Drives effective relationship management and customer activities to build trust, facilitate negotiation and secure commitment with the customer
- Proactively identifies cross-sell opportunities and partners with other underwriters to deliver comprehensive insurance solutions for the customer
- Development of marketing and presentation material for CNA Risk Management business
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Knowledge of underwriting processes, coverages, and tools to gather and evaluate information in order to reach appropriate decisions on renewals and new business.
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels of external and/or internal business partners within scope of responsibility, team and/or matrix environment.
- Ability to uncover customer needs, position specific solutions, handle objections and close deals.
- Ability to exercise judgment, negotiate and make sound business decisions effectively based on level of authority.
- Strong ability to identify, analyze and solve problems as well as the ability to learn rapidly, adapt quickly to change, exercise influence, and manage and prioritize multiple concurrent projects.
- Ability to deal with ambiguous situations and issues.
- Creativity in resolving unique and challenging business problems
- Excellent presentation skills, communication and demonstrated coaching skills
Education & Experience
- University degree, combined with CIP designation (or progress towards completion) and 5-8 years of Property and Casualty underwriting experience.
As a full-time employee your benefits include:
- A competitive salary
- An annual performance bonus
- A pension plan
- Flexible work hours
- Top of the line medical and dental insurance
- And many more benefits (fitness subsidy, in-house training, etc.)
We are excited to learn more about you!
At CNA, we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants based on job-related qualifications and ability to perform a job. If you require an accommodation during the hiring process or upon hire, please inform Human Resources. If a selected applicant requests accommodation during the recruitment process, CNA will consult with the applicant in order to provide suitable accommodation that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs.