Underwriting & Claims Department
Reporting to: Director of Claims
Location: 777 Bay Street, Suite 2400, Toronto
Status: Full Time, Permanent
Posting Date: January 13, 2021
Closing Date: January 27, 2021
The Facility Association is an entity established by the automobile insurance industry to ensure that automobile insurance is available to all owners and licensed drivers of motor vehicles where such owners or drivers are unable to obtain automobile insurance through the voluntary insurance market.
Facility Association invites applications from passionate and qualified candidates for the full-time permanent position as the Claims Reviewer – Underwriting & Claims department.
The primary objective of the Claims team at Facility Association is to oversee many functions including Large Loss Claims, Run-off Claims, the Uninsured Automobile Fund and Judgement Recoveries. This is not an adjusting role, although it is essential to have loss adjusting experience. This position reports to the Director of Claims, Underwriting & Claims Department. You will be working out of our office located in downtown Toronto, however due to Covid-19 all staff are currently working from home and will return to the office in the future.
As a Claims Reviewer, you will be responsible for reviewing and monitoring all Large Loss claims reported from our members and servicing carriers. You will provide recommendations on claims and/or request additional information if required. You will present information to the Claims Committee on bad faith claims or any losses where you require a second opinion. This will include preparing analytical reports, recommendations and briefing notes to seek advice from the Claims Committee regarding any complex claims. You will review our internal database to ensure all large loss claims are reported as required and will follow up with our members and servicing carriers when standards are not met.
You will work with an independent adjuster to monitor run-off claims. You will monitor the progress and resolution of the claims through the review of regular reports, providing technical guidance and instruction. You will ensure reserves are set, payments are processed and the claim is handled in compliance with regulations and legislation.
The Facility Association is required under the respective provincial insurance Acts to administer the Uninsured Automobile Funds in the Atlantic Provinces. We monitor the investigation, defense and final settlement of these claims through the assistance of designated law firms. As a Claims Reviewer, you will provide technical direction and instructions to legal counsel, make settlement recommendations for approval and will attend mandatory mediations and settlement conferences. You will also oversee the judgment recovery files in the Atlantic Provinces to ensure that the designated law firms are pro-active in their collections from debtors.
You will have input on any changes required to our Claims Manuals and/or Mandates, and will prepare documentation for Committee approval. You will participate in projects for the research, development and implementation of new/revised claims procedures and standards.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review large loss claims and provide feedback to Servicing Carriers and Members.
- Liaise with an independent adjuster on run off claims, with the intent of eventually bringing this process in-house.
- Work with lawyers on the Judgement Recovery files and UAF claims with the goal to bring these to closure in a fair and equitable manner.
- Prepare reports for senior management as required.
- Foster business relationships with external stakeholders and staff.
- Lead key projects and work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Work both independently and in a team environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 5 years BI and/or AB Claims Adjusting experience.
- Strong knowledge of the automobile insurance regulatory environments in the all provinces and territories.
- CIP and/or FCIP.
- University degree or college diploma.
- Intermediate proficiency in MS Office.
- Strong interpersonal, excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Must be willing to travel out-of-province if required.
- Valid driver’s license.
Please send résumé to:
Human Resources Department*
Contact: Azan Khan
This position qualifies under the Employee Referral Program. Facility Association is an equal opportunity employer.
Facility Association is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Please be advised that only those applicants who are selected for interviews will be contacted.
*The Human Resources Department of Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC), provides HR services to Facility Association