Senior Underwriter – Commercial Mid-Market
At CNA, we are focused on success, individually and collectively. We pride ourselves on promoting a culture that challenges and engages people. We strive to connect people, departments and business areas, to function as a team, and to serve our customers and communities with professionalism and respect.
Our dedication to employee engagement, continuous learning and the open exchange of ideas is the cornerstone of our business. These ideals, combined with our focus on the customer, enable us to explore new market opportunities and build on our success.
Our values, culture and financial strength are what differentiate us from other employers and make CNA the place you want to work. Learn more about CNA Insurance Canada at www.cnacanada.ca. Join our team as a Senior Underwriter!
The Senior Underwriter manages and develops a complex Property & Casualty underwriting portfolio to achieve profitability and retention goals.
The Senior Underwriter will be responsible for the following:
- Achieves gross written premium, retention, and new business goals specific to Customer Segment and/or Product Line plans. Drives new business growth in core products & customer segments
- Production of new business and maintenance of renewal book of business, including risk analysis, pricing, negotiating, setting terms, referrals to management as necessary, etc.
- Effective use and execution of Sales Advantage objectives including pipeline management, broker intelligence, producer management and sales call execution
- Establishes effective practices to continuously communicate appetite/industry strategies; driving effective market messaging
- Utilizes effective relationship management to ensure improved and/or expanded relationship with target brokers/producers to ensure achievement of targeted growth, profitability and retention goals
- Demonstrates adherence to underwriting discipline to minimize exposure and appropriately price risks
- Develop a pipeline process to target specific new and renewal accounts and measure outcomes
- Participate in underwriting audits as required
- Ensure Associate Underwriter meets service standards for renewal handling is appropriate and timely for business unit.
- Coaching and mentoring of less experienced underwriting staff
May perform additional duties as assigned.
In all responsibilities and interactions, all employees are expected to adopt and align with CNA’s Winning Behaviours – to be externally focused, accountable, collaborative, innovative, and continuously learning.
- University degree, combined with CIP designation (or progress towards completion), with 5-8 years of commercial underwriting experience;
- Strong marketing skills to enable profitable growth of a book of business.
- Must have familiarity with the brokers in the community, expertise and knowledge of distribution in the competitive market environment.
- Customer service focused with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical, interpretation, organizational and time management skills. Must be detail oriented.
- Ability to conceptualize details and develop action plans for problem solving and decision making
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment, making sound underwriting decisions with limited supervision.
- Demonstrated coaching skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.
As a full-time employee your benefits include:
- A competitive salary
- An annual performance bonus
- A pension plan
- Flexible work hours
- Top of the line medical and dental insurance
- And many more benefits (fitness subsidy, in-house training, etc.)
We are excited to learn more about you!
At CNA, we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants based on job-related qualifications and ability to perform a job. If you require an accommodation during the hiring process or upon hire, please inform Human Resources. If a selected applicant requests accommodation during the recruitment process, CNA will consult with the applicant in order to provide suitable accommodation that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs.