At CNA, we are focused on success, individually and collectively. We pride ourselves on promoting a culture that challenges and engages people. We strive to connect people, departments and business areas, to function as a team, and to serve our customers and communities with professionalism and respect.
Our dedication to employee engagement, continuous learning and the open exchange of ideas is the cornerstone of our business. These ideals, combined with our focus on the customer, enable us to explore new market opportunities and build on our success.
Our values, culture and financial strength are what differentiate us from other employers and make CNA the place you want to work. Learn more about CNA Insurance Canada at www.cnacanada.ca. Join our team as an Underwriter!
The Underwriter is responsible for underwriting risks in a book of business for the CNA team. Works within designated authority on Commercial Mid-Market business of moderate technical complexity. Utilizes underwriting policies and guidelines, rating manual rules and insurance laws and regulations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Reviews insurance applications and documentation to determine if the applicant is an acceptable risk in accordance with company guidelines and standards.
- Recommends appropriate pricing and coverage modifications or enhancements for risks after complete analysis and consideration of applicant documentation, business factors and competitive situations.
- Understands pricing components and rating methodology as well as use of the predictive modeling tools
- Uses all appropriate underwriting tools disciplines and knowledge of strategies to ensure underwriting guidelines are followed
- Quotes, negotiates and authorizes the acceptance of renewals and endorsements.
- Prepares thorough referrals to management for approval on underwriting proposals outside of designated authority.
- Demonstrates technical underwriting skills through account reviews and file documentation
- Prepares quotes and answers questions from brokers , escalating issues to management as necessary. Negotiates with brokers to reach positive and profitable outcome
- Prepares or analyzes information on adverse underwriting decisions, rate appeals, underwriting requirements, status and declinations in order to drive results within the assigned territory
- Makes field visits to Broker offices to build relationship and better understand territory and market nuances; accompanies Risk Control on visits to insureds or prospective insureds to better understand risk control assessments relating to risk exposure and control.
- Adheres to CAT guidelines and underwriting discipline to minimize exposure and appropriately price
- Interacts with Claim personnel on issues relating to specific claims, and other internal customers such as legal and actuarial concerning the insurability of prospective risks and continued insurability.
- Keeps current on provincial/national issues, regulations and trends
- Manages assigned portfolio to achieve gross written premium, profitability, rate, retention, product mix, and portfolio management goals
- Prioritizes time and resources to effectively manage and optimize broker performance
- Operates with an Enterprise perspective to identify cross sell opportunities and create growth within other lines of business and customer segments
- Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of CNA’s products and appetite while clearly communicating CNA’s position at the point of sale
Sales & Distribution Management
- Builds/maintains rigorous sales practices using all CNA systems including SalesForce.com and other sales tools and disciplines
- Develops producer relationships to build broker understanding, and drives performance to meet and exceed results
- Drives effective relationship management and customer activities to build trust, facilitate negotiation and secure commitment with the customer
May perform additional duties as assigned.
In all responsibilities and interactions, all employees are expected to adopt and align with CNA’s Winning Behaviours – to be externally focused, accountable, collaborative, innovative, inclusive and continuously learn.
Reports to the AVP, Underwriting for the department
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Knowledge of underwriting processes, coverages, and tools to gather and evaluate information in order to reach appropriate decisions on renewals and new business
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels of external and/or internal business partners within scope of responsibility, team and/or matrix environment
- Ability to uncover customer needs, position specific solutions, handle objections and close deals
- Ability to exercise judgment, negotiate and make sound business decisions effectively based on level of authority
- Strong ability to identify, analyze and solve problems as well as the ability to learn rapidly, adapt quickly to change, exercise influence, and manage and prioritize multiple concurrent projects
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment with limited supervision
- A proven track record in customer service coupled with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.
Education & Experience
- University degree, combined with CIP designation (or progress towards completion), 3 - 5 years of relevant underwriting experience
- Preferred candidates will possess experience dealing with and/or have exposure to working in a Broker environment.
As a full-time employee your benefits include:
- A competitive salary
- An annual performance bonus
- A pension plan
- Flexible work hours
- Top of the line medical and dental insurance
- And many more benefits (fitness subsidy, in-house training, etc.)
We are excited to learn more about you!
At CNA, we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants based on job-related qualifications and ability to perform a job. If you require an accommodation during the hiring process or upon hire, please inform Human Resources. If a selected applicant requests accommodation during the recruitment process, CNA will consult with the applicant in order to provide suitable accommodation that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs.