The function of the Auto Underwriter is to provide detailed underwriting and risk analysis for the Family Insurance AutoCover product. The incumbent responds to product or coverage questions and provides guidance to brokers based on Family’s Auto Underwriting manual, participates in post-loss underwriting reviews, and reviews claim referral cases in accordance with the Family’s strategic objectives.
Who We Are
Family Insurance is a managing general agent for Economical Insurance. We strive to be a provider of choice for auto and home insurance and an employer of choice in our industry. Our insurance policies are distributed to British Columbians through a network of independent insurance brokers across the province.
Why You’ll Like It Here
- An incredible team of smart, collaborative, and supportive people to work with
- Great benefits, including tuition reimbursement, RRSP matching and fitness subsidies
- We are a company that values community, wellness and work-life balance. We offer personal leave, paid volunteer days and additional paid time off throughout the year
- Accept, reject, endorse, renew or cancel policies following Family’s underwriting risk criteria and procedures, applicable laws and regulations, subject to the auto binding authority guidelines
- Answer inquiries, concerns, complaints and make recommendations to brokers through verbal and written correspondence, escalating matters when appropriate
- Assist brokers in the usage of Family’s proprietary point of sale system
- Provide underwriting binding approval to maintain a profitable book of business and ensure a profit/loss ratio in accordance with the business plan established for the company
- Understand and effectively communicate the underwriting criteria and guidelines to brokers
- Participate in post-loss underwriting reviews and review of claim referral cases in accordance with the underwriting guidelines
Education & Experience
- 1-2 years’ experience as an auto and/or personal lines underwriter or related industry experience
- Level 1 General Insurance License, or be prepared to obtain the license within the first 30 days of employment
- CIP courses or CAIB equivalent courses are preferred. Candidates not currently pursuing CIP will be expected to undertake required courses with plans to obtain a designation
Other Requirements & Qualifications
- Availability and flexibility to support the auto underwriting business hours (Monday to Friday from 8:30am-5:30pm and Saturday from 8:30am-4:00pm)
- Ability to review, research and gather relevant information in order to make effective decisions; displays good judgment and discretion
- Ability to work both independently and as part of the Auto Underwriting team; the individual must be reliable and dependable, working with minimal supervision
- Ability to effectively communicate and explain the policy wordings and coverage to others in a simple and straight-forward manner
- Contributes to customer success by understanding their needs and responding to them in a timely manner
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
Qualified candidates are asked to please submit a cover letter outlining your suitability for this opportunity and a copy of your resume.
Family’s office is located in the picturesque Coal Harbour area of downtown Vancouver, close to the seawall, Stanley Park, and public transit. The company offers a supportive and collaborative work culture with great employee perks.
We would like to thank all candidates for showing interest in this role and our company; however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
We are committed to providing an inclusive work environment that welcomes diversity and supports accessibility across the organization. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.