Commercial Liability Claims Manager
Wawanesa Mutual Insurance is one of the largest property and casualty insurers in Canada with $3 billion in annual revenues and assets of more than $9 billion. Wawanesa Mutual, founded in 1896 with executive offices in Winnipeg, is the parent company of Wawanesa General, which offers property and casualty insurance in California and Oregon, and Wawanesa Life, which distributes life insurance products and services throughout Canada. With over 3,500 employees, Wawanesa proudly serves over two million policyholders through nine regional offices and 41 service offices in Canada and the United States. Wawanesa actively gives back to organizations that strengthen communities where it operates, donating well above internationally recognized benchmarks for excellence in corporate philanthropy.
We are currently looking for dedicated, driven, and enthusiastic individuals who thrive in an environment that welcomes change and are looking for an opportunity for diverse experience, advancement on a growing team.
The Commercial Liability Claims Manager contributes to Wawanesa’s goal of delivering an exceptional and consistent claims service experience by providing leadership to the commercial liability claims team. The Commercial Liability Claims Manager will focus on the achievement of departmental, regional and corporate key business goals and customer service standards.
- Provide exceptional customer service to our customers, brokers and preferred partners
- Provide leadership and technical guidance to the commercial liability claims team
- Manage team performance by overseeing indemnity and expense payments, monitor standard of work and set priorities to ensure maximum efficiency and productivity as guided by corporate policies, procedures and business plans
- Provide direction and leadership in areas such as: policy interpretation, coverage investigation, liability determination, quantum assessment, reserving and settlement negotiations
- Identify and addresses training and developmental needs within the department
- Work with Human Resources to ensure staff vacancies are filled
- Contribute to overall claims strategy initiatives and implementation
- Ensure compliance with corporate reporting standards
- Conduct employee performance management and salary review process
- Submit annual department budget and monitor variances
- Maintain positive relationships with local industry and regulatory bodies
- Remain current with changes to legislation and trends in the insurance industry
- 10+ years Property and Casualty industry experience, with strong knowledge of commercial liability claims (3rd party bodily injury and property damage claims)
- 2+ years of people management experience
- College Diploma or University Degree (experience may substitute for education)
- Chartered Insurance Professional Designation (or equivalent Property and Casualty industry designation) and a desire to continue relevant industry education (FCIP, etc)
- Ability to coach, guide, and positively motivate employees
- Excellent knowledge of commercial policy wordings
- Experience in claims handling of commercial program business is an asset
- Excellent knowledge of medical and legal terminology
- Exceptional advanced negotiation skills
- Excellent investigative and analytical skills
- Highly proficient time management and organizational skills with the ability to prioritize work in a fast paced, changing environment
- Effective customer service skills including empathy and concern for our customers
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
Wawanesa provides its employees with a respectful, challenging and rewarding environment where they can maximize their potential while contributing to the company’s goals. Our employees are provided with highly competitive compensation packages (salaries, generous vacation allowance, leave top up, goal achievement plan, premium free benefits and a pension plan). Wawanesa provides a stable and rewarding environment for its employees in today’s challenging markets.
If you are interested in this exciting, challenging position with Wawanesa, apply today with your Resume by visiting our careers site: https://bit.ly/30iXyex
Accommodations are available as needed for all applicants.