Manager, Commercial Underwriting Excellence - Quality Assurance
Wawanesa Mutual Insurance is one of the largest property and casualty insurers in Canada with $3 billion in annual revenues and assets of more than $9 billion. Wawanesa Mutual, founded in 1896 with executive offices in Winnipeg, is the parent company of Wawanesa General, which offers property and casualty insurance in California and Oregon, and Wawanesa Life, which distributes life insurance products and services throughout Canada. With over 3,500 employees, Wawanesa proudly serves over two million policyholders through nine regional offices and 41 service offices in Canada and the United States. Wawanesa actively gives back to organizations that strengthen communities where it operates, donating well above internationally recognized benchmarks for excellence in corporate philanthropy.
We are currently looking for dedicated, driven, and enthusiastic individuals who thrive in an environment that welcomes change and are looking for an opportunity for diverse experience, advancement on a growing team.
Working under minimal supervision, the Manager, Commercial Underwriting Excellence - Quality Assurance contributes to Wawanesa’s success by directing, planning and implementing strategies and initiatives of the Quality Assurance – Commercial Lines functions. This includes assessment of internal controls, the overall effectiveness of operations and to ensure compliance with company policies, procedures, and regulatory requirements in support of the organization's strategic goals and initiatives.
- Design, implement and manage an Independent Quality Assurance program consisting of Annual Risk Assessments, Independent Quality Assurance Review and Regional File Review programs for Canadian Regions – to achieve the organization’s strategic objectives and risk profile
- Coordinate review planning and scheduling of Quality Assurance activities including special reviews requested by the senior management and executive team members, as required
- Provide quarterly updates to the Director, Underwriting Excellence – Commercial Lines, of internal control recommendations, emerging trends and sufficiency of quality assurance resources
- Provide consulting and advisory services in governance, risk management and controls to assist Underwriting teams meet its operational and strategic objectives
- Manage inquiries, responses and collaboration with Internal and External Risk stakeholders for Canadian Underwriting Commercial Lines
- Management and oversight of software implementation for the quality assurance program, training and usage
- Stay abreast of insurance industry, regulatory and company changes and trends, collaborate with external risk and control organizations and conducts research on operational and financial issues and provides direction to staff as required
- Maintain strong working relationships with Senior Management to ensure that the Department continues to meet the needs of its key stakeholders and assess implementation and benefit realization of strategic objectives
- Build department talent by attracting, developing and retaining quality assessment, underwriting, data analytics and audit professionals with sufficient knowledge, skills and experience to fulfill the requirements of the organization’s strategic goals
- Oversee, coach and provides leadership to staff to ensure work environment is respectful, challenging and rewarding
- Participate and contribute to the annual budget including staff forecasting and succession planning
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Minimum 7 + years of underwriting quality assurance experience and/or internal audit with three years in a leadership role
- Certified CIP, FCIP, CIA, CFE and/or CISA designation is considered an asset
- Certified CA, CGA, CMA, CPA or equivalent designation is considered an asset
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to influence and gain respect, credibility and confidence from others
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, including the ability to manage and execute multiple complex projects within required timelines and expectations
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to prepare clear and concise reports with an appropriate tone and style
- Ability to make excellent and well justified decisions in complex and high-pressured situations
- Strong negotiation skills by presenting information or arguments in a convincing manner and by focusing on what is important.
- Strong business acumen with excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to recognize and identify critical issues
- Strong MS Office skills and experience with an electronic audit working paper system and or quality assurance system
- French language skills considered an asset
- Ability and willingness to travel
Wawanesa provides its employees with a respectful, challenging and rewarding environment where they can maximize their potential while contributing to the company’s goals. Our employees are provided with highly competitive compensation packages (salaries, generous vacation allowance, leave top up, goal achievement plan, premium free benefits and a pension plan). Wawanesa provides a stable and rewarding environment for its employees in today’s challenging markets.
If you are interested in this exciting, challenging position with Wawanesa, apply today with your Resume.
Accommodations are available as needed for all applicants.