Manager, Commercial Underwriting Excellence - Technical Underwriting
Wawanesa Mutual Insurance is one of the largest property and casualty insurers in Canada with $3 billion in annual revenues and assets of more than $9 billion. Wawanesa Mutual, founded in 1896 with executive offices in Winnipeg, is the parent company of Wawanesa General, which offers property and casualty insurance in California and Oregon, and Wawanesa Life, which distributes life insurance products and services throughout Canada. With over 3,500 employees, Wawanesa proudly serves over two million policyholders through nine regional offices and 41 service offices in Canada and the United States. Wawanesa actively gives back to organizations that strengthen communities where it operates, donating well above internationally recognized benchmarks for excellence in corporate philanthropy.
We are currently looking for dedicated, driven, and enthusiastic individuals who thrive in an environment that welcomes change and are looking for an opportunity for diverse experience, advancement on a growing team.
Working under minimal supervision, the Manager, Commercial Underwriting Excellence - Technical Underwriting contributes to Wawanesa’s success by creating, planning and implementing strategies which ensure consistent and effective management of the commercial lines underwriting functions. The Manager is to lead a high-performance team that is responsible for providing technical support for regional staff across the commercial automobile, farm and commercial property and casualty lines of business. Oversite of completing a comprehensive review of the policies, procedures, and controls in place for all commercial and farm products, including maintenance and continuous improvement of same.
• Provide strong technical underwriting direction to regional office leadership and front lines staff to support profit and growth goals
• Collaborate with various stakeholders to review ineffective and inefficient processes and identify best practices and continuous improvement opportunities
• Participate in the development and maintenance of underwriting processes and key performance indicators in collaboration with the company’s Operational Excellence team
• Promote consistency, accountability, and collaboration to commercial underwriting teams across Canada
• Stay abreast of industry, regulatory, company, and economic changes or trends
• Provide strategic input and leadership on operational decisions, driving the organization to achieve our strategic goals
• Lead a culture of underwriting excellence and ensure consistent delivery of underwriting strategy across all areas
• Communicate underwriting initiatives and action plans to drive business results
• Maintain and foster strong working relationships with Senior Management and other internal and external parties to ensure that the department continues to meet the needs of its key stakeholders
• In conjunction with Director, Commercial Underwriting Excellence, plan and execute regional site visits and conferences to build relationships and assess implementation and benefit realization of strategic objectives
• Participate and contribute to the annual budget including staff forecasting, succession planning and expenditures
• Periodic reporting to the Director, Commercial Underwriting Excellence
• Build department talent by attracting, developing and retaining insurance professionals with sufficient knowledge, skills, and experience to fulfill the requirements of the organization’s strategic goals
• Oversee, coach and provide leadership to staff to ensure work environment is respectful, challenging and rewarding
• Initiate, contribute and provide feedback to employees’ performance through the BluPrint process
• Commitment to continuous learning and leadership development.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Minimum of 7 years property and casual industry experience, along with 3 years in a leadership role is preferred
• Post-secondary education, and/or completed CIP or equivalent Property and Casualty Industry Designation would be an asset
• Excellent leadership skills with the ability to influence and gain respect, credibility and confidence from others
• Ability to make excellent and well justified decisions in complex and high-pressure situations
• Excellent organizational and time management skills, including the ability to manage and execute multiple projects within required timelines and expectations
• Strong business acumen with excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to recognize and identify critical issues
• Excellent interpersonal, presentation and communication skills with the ability to effectively convey ideas in a persuasive and eloquent manner
• Strong negotiation skills by presenting information or arguments in a convincing manner and by focusing on what is important
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability and willingness to travel.
Wawanesa provides its employees with a respectful, challenging and rewarding environment where they can maximize their potential while contributing to the company’s goals. Our employees are provided with highly competitive compensation packages (salaries, generous vacation allowance, leave top up, goal achievement plan, premium free benefits and a pension plan). Wawanesa provides a stable and rewarding environment for its employees in today’s challenging markets.
If you are interested in this exciting, challenging position with Wawanesa, apply today with your Resume.
Accommodations are available as needed for all applicants.