please submit resume and cover letter
At CNA, every person plays an important role in bringing nothing but the best to our customers. If you're looking for a career in a company that's evolving, has a great culture and amazing opportunities within the Insurance Industry, CNA is the clear choice. As part of the CNA team, you'll work with motivated team members who have pride in - and passion for - what they do. Guided by our core values, we remain steadfast to our commitment to career growth and development for all levels of team members so they may navigate their own future and grow with the company. We are deeply rooted in our history and bringing together the best minds in insurance.
This position is responsible for managing the audit function and all associated activities across all lines of business for CNA Canada. The Underwriting Quality Control Specialist will also monitor compliance with legal and regulatory requirements within the underwriting governance framework. The role will additionally involve assisting the Operations and Underwriting Governance AVP with development and implementation of the underwriting governance framework, particularly associated with underwriting authorities and underwriting guidelines.
- The key function is the management of the underwriting quality control process to ensure we maintain a robust approach to underwriting controls within appropriate timescales for the entire organization. This will involve strong communication and management skills to support the underwriting audit function and closely liaise with the Business Unit Heads.
- Manage the work activities and performance of those participating in the Underwriting Audits.
- Coach, lead and develop underwriters participating in the audit process to ensure that they are able to effectively contribute to the audit process.
- Monitor compliance with legal and regulatory requirements within the underwriting governance framework.
- Manage communication of the underwriting audit results to the Operations and Underwriting Governance AVP and provide regular reports to the relevant Business Unit Heads, senior management and the Underwriting Committee, presenting the results when required.
- Monitor and manage actions arising out of underwriting audits to ensure completion in a timely manner and produce monthly reporting on the status of outstanding actions.
- Ensure audit integrity and objectivity through execution of Global Audit Procedures
- Promote, develop and evolve the Global Audit Procedures
- Calibrate audit scores and procedures with other Audit Leaders to maintain consistency in approach across the global organization.
- Provide support for the issuance of all staff underwriting authorities. Ensure that all authorities are reviewed on an annual basis and that all new starts are processed appropriately.
- Assist underwriting governance with the implementation of Underwriting Controls and provide support in the administration of exception reporting.
- Support underwriting governance in the production and issuance of key underwriting management information associated with exception reporting.
- Provide support to the Operations and Underwriting Governance AVP on all matters relating to underwriting governance.
- Provide support to the Business Unit heads to coach new employees on CNA Canada underwriting principles.
- Provide support in the development of the underwriting systems to promote remote auditing.
- Provide support to Operations in monitoring and managing the level of contract certainty within the organization.
- Knowledge and experience of the Canadian insurance market.
- Very strong communication, negotiation and presentations skills with the ability to manage difficult conversations.
- Detailed knowledge and experience of either a technical area, underwriting a commercial line of business or a role in compliance for a commercial insurer.
- Ability to manage logistical issues to ensure that the audit team has the infrastructure in place to allow them to work remotely.
- Solid analytical and problem solving skills, able to identify, analyze and resolve issues.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite as well as other business-related software.
- Strong report authoring skills as the role will involve drafting a number of reports to stakeholders, including top management.
- Ability to work in conjunction with a number of key departments including Underwriting, Legal & Compliance and Internal Audit.
- Effective time management to ensure the Underwriting Audit timetable set by the Operations and Underwriting Governance AVP is adhered to.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
At CNA, we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants based on job-related qualifications and ability to perform a job. If you require an accommodation during the hiring process or upon hire, please inform Human Resources. If a selected applicant requests accommodation during the recruitment process, CNA will consult with the applicant in order to provide suitable accommodation that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs.
Only selected candidates will be contacted. No agencies please.