National Claims Specialist
As a wholly owned subsidiary of the Cooperators General Insurance company, Sovereign Insurance believes your experience matters. This is our promise to not only our clients but to our employees as well, because we know the strength of our company starts with our people. The smart, curious and collaborative people who bring their whole heart and passion to work each day. But you can’t pour from an empty cup; we take care of the well-being of our people so that they are inspired to protect Canadian businesses and the lives, families and communities we impact. Join us and begin shaping your experience at Sovereign.
Our dynamic Western Claims Operations team is looking for an experienced National Claims Specialist to join our highly respected team. Our ideal candidate will be an expert in claims examining, including monitoring claims in legal proceedings, negotiating and settling claims, as well as providing support, training and mentoring to more junior team members. If you have a passion for problem solving, a keen sense of urgency, and take great pride in providing exemplary customer service, this could be the opportunity for you!
*** There is flexibility for this position to be based in Calgary or Toronto ***
What you’re responsible for:
- Examining all varieties of claims including; commercial property, casualty, cargo, auto, energy, E&O/D&O, Cyber, Equipment Breakdown, excess.
- Investigating claims as assigned within authority and provide control and direction to adjusters, vendors, and solicitors to ensure adjusting standards and litigation protocols are adhered to.
- Demonstrating extensive knowledge of; insurance coverages, claims handling procedures, investigation methods, negotiation tactics and internal/external auditing.
- Fostering and maintaining positive relationships with all internal and external contacts including underwriting teams, broker partners and vendors.
- Coaching, training and developing team members and providing timely feedback to achieve department objectives.
What to expect:
- Detail oriented work that requires a high degree of mental concentration for extended periods of time.
- You will provide support to clients who are experiencing a personal or financial loss. A high degree of confidentiality and discretion is required.
- You will travel occasionally.
- You use strong judgement and interpersonal skills to build relationships internally and work effectively with people at all levels of the organization.
To be successful:
- You thrive on leading and motivating others to embrace accountability to deliver our exceptional client experience and achieve results.
- You ensure you and your team’s day to day actions are in harmony with the company’s purpose, vision, and values even when challenged.
- You take responsibility for guiding others through changing conditions and creating a supportive culture that encourages the exploration of new opportunities or innovations.
- You value and encourage others to have cooperative and collaborative dialogue because diverse perspectives offer more creative and productive solutions.
To join our team:
- Minimum 10 years of commercial claims experience is required.
- CIP/FCIP designation is an asset.
What we offer:
- The opportunity to take on challenging work and contribute your expertise, creativity, and passion in meaningful ways.
- A comprehensive total rewards package, including competitive salary, bonus, paid time off, pension and benefits.
- A holistic approach to your well-being, with physical and mental health programs and flexible work options.
- The opportunity to work on an inclusive team who inspire each other to explore and achieve what’s possible.
- A company that is committed to support the social, environmental and financial well-being of the lives, families and communities we impact.