The function of the Experienced Property Underwriter is to provide detailed underwriting and risk analysis for Family Insurance’s HomeCover products. The incumbent will respond to product and procedural questions from underwriters and brokers, provide guidance for complex new business, participate in post-loss underwriting reviews, and review claim referral cases in accordance with the Family’s philosophy. This position shares responsibility for risk selection, rating, and customer service with brokers and partners.
Who We Are
Family Insurance is a managing general agent for Economical Insurance. As one of BC's Top Employers for 2019, we strive to be a provider of choice for auto and home insurance and an employer of choice in our industry. Our insurance policies are distributed to British Columbians through a network of independent insurance brokers across the province.
Why You’ll Like It Here
- An incredible team of smart, collaborative, and supportive people to work with
- Great benefits, including tuition reimbursement, RRSP matching and fitness subsidies
- We are a company that values community, wellness and work-life balance. We offer personal leave, paid volunteer days and additional paid time off throughout the year
- Accept, reject, endorse, renew or cancel contracts following company underwriting policies/procedures, applicable laws and regulations, based on assigned authority level
- Answer inquiries and make recommendations to brokers through verbal and written correspondence
- Responsible for guiding and directing brokers on the use of the functional application of the Family’s point of sale system
- Develop and maintain relationships with assigned broker groups to develop a stable and profitable book of business
- Understand and communicate underwriting business rules and guidelines
- Participate in post-loss underwriting reviews and review of claims referral cases in accordance with Family’s philosophy
- Provide training to brokers on underwriting matters, as well as train junior underwriting staff on technical underwriting issues
- Assist management with special projects as assigned
- Ability to proactively problem-solve and recommend solutions to issues
- Strong ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to interpret and effectively communicate complex information
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Understand insurance practices and principles, current market trends, and the value of customer service relationships
- Minimum 3 years’ experience with personal lines underwriting or related experience
- Completion of (or actively pursuing) the CIP designation or an equivalent designation
- Must have a Broker Level 1 License, or be willing to obtain the license within the first 30 days of employment.
- Candidates will not be permitted to perform the duties of an underwriter until this license has been obtained (licensing costs will be covered by Family)
- A Broker Level 2 License is strongly preferred. All intermediate underwriters will be required to obtain this license within 18 months of commencing employment
- Demonstrated knowledge of MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
Qualified candidates are asked to please submit a cover letter outlining your suitability for this opportunity and a copy of your resume.
We would like to thank all candidates for showing interest in this role and our company; however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
We are committed to providing an inclusive work environment that welcomes diversity and supports accessibility across the organization. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting email@example.com.