- Echelon Insurance
- 2680 Matheson Blvd. East, Mississauga, ON, L4W 0A5
- Job Category
- Job Type
Reporting to the Supervisor, LHT & Commercial Auto, the Underwriter, Commercial Auto (non-fleet) is responsible for assessing, pricing and accepting risks in accordance with the company's guidelines and objectives in order to comply with the underwriting standards and Echelon customer service standards. The incumbent is involved in business development and has excellent relationships with our partners in Commercial Auto.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the successful evaluation, selection, negotiation and pricing for assigned policies to ensure a profitable book of business within established underwriting authority.
- Completes data entry of policy information to ensure timeliness of transactions.
- Ensures endorsements, renewals, reissues and cancellations are reviewed and analyzed in accordance with corporate standards and guidelines.
- Analyzes new business for risk profitability by assessing exposures and hazards as determined by review of underwriting data.
- Works within assigned Authority Levels.
- Develops and maintains professional relationships with brokers and/or customers to enhance understanding of the target market and to contribute to quality service, problem solving, and risk selection through the adherence of company service standards.
- Maintains knowledge of industry trends, developments, and regulatory changes including competitive analysis and information.
- Collaborates with brokers and customers to assist in business retention and customer satisfaction through regular interaction.
- Investigates customers' risk factors relative to corporate pricing approach to gain support, agreement and enhance relationships.
- Participates in the communication and education of brokers concerning the corporate underwriting philosophy, policies, and procedures as required.
- Understands and applies best business practices towards compliance, internal control and operational risk controls.
- Assists in the price monitoring, risk selection and data quality performance reviews.
- Works collaboratively on special projects and assignments when required.
- All other related tasks.
Education & Experience
- Post-secondary school education and/or equivalent on the job experience
- Minimum of 3-5 years relevant experience in commercial auto underwriting
- Working knowledge of underwriting techniques, guidelines, rating programs, risk information sources, coverages, underwriting/technical manual information, statutory constraints, and computer workflow procedures
- Good computer skills including Outlook, Word and Excel
- Knowledge of RTM, Passport would be an asset
- CIP designation or working towards completing CIP courses
- Performs well in a busy and dynamic operation
- Team player adaptable to a changing environment
- Ability to focus on the broker and customer needs, ensuring a high quality of service is provided along with a long-term perspective in addressing broker or business area problems/issues
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional and technical development
- Demonstrated commitment to high standards of performance and goals
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage priorities
Echelon Insurance is committed to providing accommodation throughout the interview and employment process. Should you require any accommodation please let Human Resources know so that we can accommodate your individual accessibility needs.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
More search results
Experienced Property Underwriter
Family Insurance Solutions
Claims Adjuster, Specialty
CNA Insurance Canada
Underwriting Support Representative - P&C Insuran…
CNA Insurance Canada
Sr. Underwriter, Commercial/Farm
Regional Underwriter (Calgary)
The Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company of Canada