We are looking for someone who will lead our largest department into the future of underwriting insurance. Times have changed and continue to change at an accelerated pace and no department is going to feel this more than underwriting. HTM has a great pool of brokers and agents to work with; our insurance system is being upgraded over the next couple of years and we are heading into an insurance market that’s full of opportunities. HTM is well positioned for the future, but we need a dynamic individual who can leverage all of our resources and talent to help us succeed. Do you have the drive, the management and leadership experience, and the underwriting experience to take this job on? If you do, then we have a great position for you to work in a professional and modern environment with a competitive compensation plan. Consider joining the HTM family.
About HTM Insurance:
HTM Insurance Company - formerly known as the Hamilton Township Farmers Mutual Fire Insurance Company, and later, the Hamilton Township Mutual Insurance Company - was formed in 1898 in the spirit of neighbours helping neighbours, as many farmers were unable to find companies to insure their properties and livestock. In that first year 147 policies were written. Today, our insurance coverage has grown to include a wide range of policies including farm, auto, residential and commercial.
HTM Insurance Company is a Mutual Insurance Company, meaning that we are community based and owned and operated by our Policyholders. HTM Insurance Company is run by a Board of Directors which is elected from among our Policyholders, and the Board appoints the Officers of the Company.
Job responsibilities will include:
Manage Department Operations and Service Delivery
- Provide leadership, support and guidance to the underwriting team
- Ensure service standards are met for new business, renewals, endorsements and cancellations.
- Conduct audits of files on individual underwriters to ensure performance standards are being met
- Coordinate and lead monthly departmental meetings; review updates and builds to the system, policies, statistical reporting; address issues and resolve problems that ensures others are well informed.
- Provide recommendations to underwriters on specific clients, specifically around risk assessment in the various lines of the business (i.e. auto, commercial, property, farm).
- Lead initiatives and changes in the department such as integrating new technologies (i.e. automation of underwriting)
- Keeping on top of the market place and industry trends; communicate them to the staff
- Aid in the training and educational upgrading for underwriting staff
Identify Growth Opportunities
- Key liaison with brokers; establish and maintain a positive working relationship with all internal and external customers
- Work in co-ordination with President/CEO to determine areas for potential growth
- Implement changes into the Underwriting Rating Manual as required
- Review rates in comparison to our competitors using the various tools and resources available
Participate on Management Team
- Participate in annual strategic planning process
- Prepare for and attend regular management team strategic meetings
- Assist with budget preparation (for department) and development of the company business plan
- Prepare for and attend quarterly board meetings
Operational Excellence and Team Management for the Underwriting Department
- Lead and develop the underwriting staff, ensuring alignment of individual roles and performance with the business
- Participate in the recruitment process to attract the right people to the right roles
- Provide training to new employees
- Establish and promote a team environment based on high trust and performance
- University Degree/College and or specific college program related to insurance required
- CIP (Chartered Insurance Professional) or FCIP designation is required
- 7-10 years of experience in underwriting (an asset, if experienced with all lines of insurance)
- Experience leading teams and creating a positive and professional work environment
- Experience developing employees for growth and career development
- Understanding of mutual systems is an asset
- Experience implementing new technology tools and managing the change process
- Ability to use sound judgment and effective decision-making skills
- Superior communication skills, including written and oral
- Strong negotiation skills as well as conflict resolution abilities
- Strong attention to detail and high level of accuracy
- Strong investigation skills
- Thorough document management skills
More search results
Underwriting Support Representative - P&C Insuran…
CNA Insurance Canada
Underwriter, Commercial Auto (Non-Fleet)
Sr. Underwriter, Commercial/Farm
Regional Underwriter (Calgary)
The Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company of Canada