Underwriter, Lawyers Insurance Fund
Are you looking for an organization driven by the core values of excellence and integrity? Does interesting and meaningful work in a collegial and balanced workplace interest you? If so, the Lawyers Insurance Fund (LIF) of the Law Society of British Columbia may be the place for you.
Our Lawyers Insurance Fund Department is seeking a full-time Underwriter. The Underwriter is responsible for the indemnity, underwriting, actuarial, policy wording and analysis, and Freedom of Information/Protection of Privacy and claim disclosure functions of the Lawyers Insurance Fund (“LIF”).
The duties of this position are as follows:
- Monitor trends and risks to LIF, and provide policy analysis on issues affecting LIF
- Research and draft policy memoranda and wording to address the risks of all policy coverages, existing and potential, including the BIIC policy
- Provide “advance rulings” binding on the Law Society, coverage and policy advice to insured lawyers generally, and supervise Claims Counsel who are Advance Ruling Advisors in relation to these activities
- Manage annual renewal of all policies including the drafting and execution of directors’ resolutions for the LSBC Captive Insurance Co.
- Implement and manage programs for selling optional coverages, such as excess insurance
- Prepare Insurance Issues: Program Report and LIF portion of Annual Report annually, and maintain the part of the website dedicated to policy indemnity and coverage
- Instruct and deal with our actuary and provide analysis of annual report
- Manage FOIPP and claim disclosure requests
- Assess risk relating to pro bono programs and public legal service employers, administer approvals, and liaise with member services
- Administer Western Law Society Conveyancing Protocol and deal with lawyer mobility issues
- Deal with other departments of the society (especially member services on issues concerning the selling of the policy), and other law societies and insurers, on program inquiries and issues
- Such other duties as the Director may require.
- CIP, FCIP, or CRM Insurance designation, or a university degree.
- A minimum of ten years of experience in the insurance or finance industries, preferably including some in the professional liability field in BC.
- Supervisory experience preferred and demonstrably effective interpersonal skills.
- Superior judgement and analytical, organizational, process, communication, and writing skills. Facility with complex numerical calculations.
- Ability to meet changing deadlines and work in highly stressful situations.
- Available to travel throughout North America.
To apply, please visit our website at https://www.lawsociety.bc.ca/about-us/careers-at-the-law-society/job-postings/. The closing date for this competition is April 2, 2019. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is located at the Law Society of British Columbia office in the Yaletown area of Vancouver, BC.
845 Cambie Street
Vancouver, British Columbia