Associate Dean - Financial Management and Accounting
The Associate Dean, Accounting, Finance and Insurance is part of the Educational Leadership Team of the Institute. Reporting to the Dean, the Associate Dean is accountable for providing administrative and educational leadership to designated full-time, part-time and Industry training programs and courses, in accordance with BCIT and industry standards and congruent with the overall Institute mission to become Canada's Premier Polytechnic Institute. As the first line educational manager, the Associate Dean represents the School's Dean as appropriate. The Associate Dean functions as a member of academic departments, as faculty and staff personnel supervisor, and as the individual responsible for the implementation of corporate and school level educational strategies and objectives. The Associate Dean is responsible for leading a broad range of initiatives impacting the daily and longer term strategic issues important to the Department, School and Institute.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Represents the Institute, School and Department at relevant Industry, community and sector functions.
- Acting Dean where and when appropriate.
- Establishes and maintains an effective liaison with relevant industries, professional groups and associations, government agencies, joint boards, BCIT support groups, etc.
- Manages complex budgets, both operational and capital, including determining costs, allocations, and expenditures, and monitoring the processes for multiple programs.
- Ensures academic integrity for all program courses.
- Establishes, maintains and operates an ongoing process of program evaluation, ensuring that programs and courses are of a high quality and are effectively and efficiently delivered in accordance with established standards.
- Manages the department in accordance with the appropriate collective agreement.
- In consultation with the program areas, sets appropriate performance expectations, and evaluates performance based on those expectations and objectives. In accordance with the relevant collective agreements, coordinates and signs off faculty and support staff performance reviews. Ensures that group and individual staff development plans are established to meet individual, program and Institute needs. Monitors implementation of these plans.
- Number of employees reporting directly to the position varies by department, typically up to 30.
- Works under general direction of the Dean and is required to operate autonomously. Work is reviewed periodically for achievement of objectives and quality and effectiveness of programs.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT BCIT:
- Being a part of BC's Top 100 Employers, and a member of the CCDI.
- A generous Total Compensation package which includes extended health and dental benefits and a superb pension plan.
- Access to Professional Development Funds and opportunities for career development.
- Increase your knowledge with Tuition waivers for BCIT courses.
- Enjoy subsidized parking and discounted access to our fitness facilities (including classes like Yoga and Zumba).
- Additional Wellness and Employee Assistance programs.
- University graduation at the Master's level or Doctoral level; and a relevant professional designation would be an asset (eg., CPA, CIP, CFA, etc.)
- Eight to ten years of directly related and progressive experience in business, industry and/or training.
- Equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
- Strong leadership skills, good organizational skills and a high degree of self-motivation and business acumen.
- Demonstrated effective and positive management style for people in a distributed work environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, which are necessary to establish and sustain relationships and rapport.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Must be familiar with office software and state-of-the-art information and educational technology.