Director, Alberta & BC Regional Claims - SGI Canada
- SGI Canada
- Edmonton, Alberta
- Job Category
- Job Type
Director, Alberta & BC Regional Claims
Division: SGI Canada
Reports To: Regional Vice President, Alberta & BC
Direct Report: Manager, Alberta Claims Injury Adjusters (x6)
Indirect Reports National Property Manager
National Auto Manager
Organization: Saskatchewan Government Insurance (SGI)
Saskatchewan Government Insurance (SGI) is a Crown corporation that is a subsidiary of Crown Investments Corporation of Saskatchewan (CIC), employing over 2,000 people with its corporate head office located in Regina, Saskatchewan. Our operations are split between the Saskatchewan Auto Fund, which administers Saskatchewan’s auto insurance program, and SGI CANADA, a fully-competitive property and casualty insurer operating in five Canadian provinces. SGI CANADA’s property and casualty product offerings include insurance for automobiles, homes, farms and commercial enterprises. SGI CANADA also offers a non-standard auto product in Ontario under the trade name Coachman Insurance Company. The Auto Fund also administers Saskatchewan’s driver’s license and vehicle registration program, as well as a number of driver and vehicle safety programs.
SGI CANADA works with a network of 190 independent brokers throughout Saskatchewan, as well as 218 brokers operating in Manitoba, Alberta, British Columbia and Ontario. The Auto Fund works with a network of nearly 400 private motor license issuers throughout Saskatchewan.
Accountable to the Regional Vice President, Alberta & BC, the Director, Alberta & BC Regional Claims will be looked upon for leading, directing and monitoring the claims function (Injury, Accident Benefit and Commercial Auto and Commercial property) for SGI CANADA’s Alberta Regional Operations. Responsible for delivering claims handling approach in the Alberta region that enhances and contributes to customer experience, growth and efficient operations. Engages and motivates the claims team to deliver outstanding service to our customers. Collaborates with Head Office Claims to develop, implement and monitor processes and procedures. Manages and monitors claims activities ensuring that processes and procedures align with customer expectations, are cost effective and meet best practices in the industry.
We’re looking for an energetic and dynamic leader who can identify and articulate future needs, plan for and lead strategically to meet those needs, and create an environment that allows employees to give their best in the midst of a dynamic and evolving work environment. You are a strategic, collaborative, and critical a thinker who believes in fostering relationships through clear communication, mentoring and coaching to the regional claims team.
Education, Experience, and Competencies
As part of the senior leadership team, you will have demonstrated experience delivering high-quality customer experience, growth and efficient operations. If you’re a strategic, engaging and an extroverted leader with excellent communication and leadership skills, if you have the drive and commitment to lead teams through change, and you’re all about collaboration and building partnerships – this is a great opportunity for you.
You’ll need a bachelor’s degree in, Business Administration, Commerce or a related discipline, with 8 or more years of senior/supervisory insurance role with increasing responsibility in the field. You will also have your Fellow Chartered Insurance Professional (FCIP) or Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) designation
The Director, Alberta & BC Regional Claims is part of the senior leadership team and is responsible for ensuring that the organization maintains a viable financial position. As the RVP will rely on the technical skills and experience of the incumbent in this role, candidates must be able to demonstrate the following technical competencies:
Accountability – Define and enhance organizational accountability
Business Acumen — Strategically direct the organization, broadly weighing internal and external perspectives
Change Agility — Create and express the vision for change
Leadership — Lead the division/organization
Note: This section is not intended to be an exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities – other duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
Stakeholder Relations (30%)
- Actively engages with the broker, insurance company, repair, medical and legal community to build relationships, presences and goodwill for SGI CANADA and its claims function.
- Constructs and maintains a network of professionals, experts, resources and regulatory group contacts within the province where business is conducted. Works with National Claims to identify opportunities for innovation and improvements to the customer experience, technical adjusting skills and reduce claims cost.
- Acts as the senior regional leader for collaborating on claims related projects with other SGI teams.
- Ensures working relationships, communication and collaboration between branch claims and other SGI teams are developed and maintained.
- Provides leadership and participation in the communication, change management and execution of strategic initiatives that affect industry stakeholders.
- Acts as the most senior relationship manager of key partnerships to foster day to day success and to intervene on complicated issues.
- Supervises the networking and relationship development of staff with appropriate partners in the industry.
Regional Claims Operation Management (25%)
- Provides leadership, expertise and guidance to the Alberta regional claims team.
- Ensures claims objectives in the Alberta region are met and proper procedures are followed. Managers audit, and oversight of policies and procedures related to adjusting claims.
- Supports and works closely with SGI CANADA Claims Department on all PPV and property claims.
- Approve payments in the General Insurance System (GIS) and reviews large loss reporting.
- Facilitates and coordinates the adjusting of complicated claims involving key vendors and partners.
- Facility Association auditsReviews reports from independent adjusters and provides guidance and direction for coverage application as per company guideline, as requested.
- Accountable for ensuring claims handling processes meet all regulatory requirements.
- Ensures claims handling is performed in a cost-effective way.
People Leadership (25%)
- Builds a high performing workforce and actively leading human resource activities.
- Ensures development of divisional succession plans.
- Builds a culture of leadership and accountability to effectively deliver on strategic and corporate strategies, ensuring integration with employee performance development and career development plans.
- Drives performance through team members and is committed to leadership development across the company, supporting employees and workforce readiness through mentoring, training and developmental opportunities.
Customer Experience (10%)
- Responds to escalated customer complaints and offers suggestions for alternate resolution.
- Creates and implements service standards and consistency in claims processes to achieve targeted goals.
- Involves other stakeholders, such as brokers, vendors or regulators, to develop and communicate solutions to customer concerns or complicated claims.
- Promotes communication with all customers and broker partners to deliver transparency and efficiency in claims handling.
Corporate Management (10%)
- Ensures programs and policies are in alignment with corporate, strategic and divisional strategies.
- Manages risk in area of authority.
- Prepares, reviews, manages and/or approves departmental/divisional budgets.
- Prepares decision requests, decision and/or information items and/or SGI board items.
- Ensures that the Health, Safety and Emergency Management Policy is applied in area of responsibility, including development, implementation and managing of program components specific to departmental health and safety requirements.
- Makes decisions for departmental operations that are efficient, effective and in alignment with strategic direction and priorities.
- Ensures department and program policies, procedures and guidelines are in compliance with applicable federal and provincial legislation and regulations; implements and evaluates changes to legislation and regulations in area of authority.
- Establishes and maintains an effective system of internal controls to support reliable financial reporting and compliance in accordance with applicable laws and regulations within the span of control, and communicates the importance of internal controls to staff.
This role will appeal to an ambitious and professional leader that can successfully drive SGI to achieve their strategic goals through collaboration, active listening and embracing technology. You will have a strong insurance and claims background and be a leader that is interested in driving an organization forward and contributing to the overall growth. To further explore this opportunity, please submit your resume in confidence to Aj.Beaudry@mnp.ca or call 250.734.4327
We thank all interested applicants, however; only those selected to move forward will be contacted.
More search results
Senior Implementation Specialist, Commercial Lines
The Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company
Senior Product Specialist – Personal Insurance
The Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company
Administrative Assistant - IIBC
Supervisor, Risk & Loss Control
Region of Durham